General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

03 MP5 Engine: Swap or not to swap?....That is the question....I have

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 01:22 PM
Question 03 MP5 Engine: Swap or not to swap?....That is the question....I have

So I have a 2003 MP5 2.0L man trans and I love it, but, it is definitely time for a new engine. Or at the least a rebuild. Its starting to get some leaks and also getting some good oil blow through when entering a freeway or passing on the highways. I am considering a couple different options. Was wondering if anyone could help give a little insight to what i am considering. First option for me is just doing a direct replacement swap and then putting a turbo on the new 4 banger to add a little extra umph to its getty-up without doing too much to lose mpgs. Which brings me to option numero dos. Swapping the motor for a 6 cyl out of a mazda6. There is a mazda6 motor with very low miles I can pick up for really cheap out of rear ended 6 at a junk yard near by. It still starts up in the car and runs perfectly. Only has about 13k and some change miles on it. It is also a manual trans. So this is the delema I have. Do I do the mod work needed (depending on how extensive it is) to get a 6 in there and have the power from straight motor or do I go stock swap with a turbo added? I figure power numbers would be about the same as well as mpgs but Im also thinking about possible power mods for the future as well. (Turbo on the 6).....Any insight would be greatly appreciated.