Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

Engine Swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 12:22 PM
Default Engine Swap

Hey Everyone,

My name's Greg. Im new here. I have a few questions about upgrading my Protege and figured, Who better to help me than other mazda owners. So.... My original rule was not to add anything to the car that wouldn't go into a different car, if I ever buy one. I installed a dvd player, Subs, new components, neons, shift ****, and a few other ricer things. Last week, one of my brothers friends told me that he imports engines and car parts from japan so I became intrigued. I started telling my friends about this and some red flags whent up. One of my friends made a deal with me that if I could get him a B18C5, he would give me his engine. Good news for me. I can get him that B18C5 easy as anything. NEW ENGINE FOR ME. My delema is that I have no idea what to expect with a engine swap. I have decided that if this deal actualy works out, I will buy a new clutch kit anda short throw shifter, but I still have a problem...

My Question:

Has anyone ever swaped a B18A1 into a Mazda Protege? I know it can be done because it came out of a 92 Acura Integra, but I have no idea what else I will need to buy. I know that I will need new motor mounts (not sure what ones though) anda clutch too, but beyond that, I'm just a retard humpin a door ****. If anyone could give me some advise, that would be great. Any tips on part, instalation, mounting, transmission, or any of that would be helpful.

Thanks again for any help you offer. (After this, I will be pushing 160hp which is a huge step from the less than hundred that I have now.

~Greg~

P.s. - My brother and I will be droping it in ourselves. He knows how to do that kinda stuff.

Old 12-28-2007, 05:23 PM
Default RE: Engine Swap

well, to do that swap, you will need to have an adapter made to mate the back of the engine to the transaxle housing. next, you will need to modify the motor mounts or mounting points to fit the new motor into the engine compartment. then, you will need to put a computer/wiring/appropriate harnesses into the car to control the motor. there may be a kit out there somewhere, but i don't know about it.

i don't know why, since the honda scene is so hot, you don't just sell the motor for top dollar and buy a GTX motor from Japan. this way, the motor is producing 170whp and you don't have to mod the hell out of the engine compartment. also, the GTX motor is ready for turbo, so you won't have to do anything but drop in a turbo kit if and when you get ready.