Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

Clutch shudder

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 12:33 PM
Default Clutch shudder

Hello,

I have a 2002 Mazda Protege5 with 55,000km (~35 000mi). Occasionally the car shudders when I'm releasing the clutch in first. It is very noticeable as the whole dashboard starts to shake. Usually, if I press and release the clutch again, the clutch catches normally. This problem only happens occasionally and appears to happen mostly when the car is cold. I talked to a mechanic? at a local Canadian Tire (always take their suggestions with a grain of salt) and he suggested it could be the clutch release bearing sticking.

On the other hand, the mazda 6 forum gives the following description of a similar problem (http://forum.mazda6tech.com/about1569.html):
There are variety of reasonings behind the issue. The original, and most widely accepted, is that the chatter is due to the design of the clutch itself. The more aggressive or stronger a clutch, the greater likelyhood that this condition will manifest itself. Clutch chatter is always a major problem in most performance and aftermarket clutch designs, and is a VERY common issue on the www. Simple type clutch chatter into google, and you'll get around 18,000 hits. Another reasoning is that due to over "ethusastic" launches and clutch use. Doing such causes the clutch lining to suffer from overheating issues, which degrades its ability to grip in the cold. This could be the primary reason some individuals have "alot" of clutch shutter, and others barely ever experience it.

Please note that the protege5 only has 35 000mi built up from a daily 20km round trip drive to work (highway only driving) with one stoplight.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Peter

Old 03-30-2007, 11:40 PM
Default RE: Clutch shudder

Fortunately, there is a very specific answer to your concern, it can be found at:
http://www.protegefaq.net/tsb/mt000003848.html

For a pretty good complete listing:
http://www.protegefaq.net/

I am guessing that your warranty just expired, which sucks, but frankly, Mazda owes you a clutch. If the dealer wants you to pay one cent Canadian, remind them that it has been doing this for most of its warranty (assuming it islike my '03 P5). What is the warranty in Canada? My owner's manual is out of reach at the moment, but I would guess its the same as it is in the states, just in the proper unit system.

Iam an engineerfor a pretty well known engine manufacturer (green tractors too), andI have worked on the technical end of the customer support side as well. I will tell you that from my experience, the dealer is typically less sympathetic to situations like this than the factory is. Calling the MazdaNA corporate customer support line (after at least calling the dealer, and getting told you will have to pay) should get you a free repair on this. If not with the first operator you speak to, be persistent and you will get the right person (especially since it sounds like your P5 is under the warranty miles). It is merely a question of getting Mazda to pay the dealer to make/keep you happy.

"Hey Peter man, ........watch out for your cornhole, bud." - Office Space

Old 03-31-2007, 08:03 PM

i would also check into the pressure that you are getting out of the clutch slave and master cylinders. in most hydraulic clutch setups, these are the first parts to go. and when the go, they come and go until they finally go out.

Old 05-31-2007, 04:03 AM

A contaminated clutch disc can cause the clutch to shudder. It could be a warped pressure plate or mazda flywheel or worn splines on clutch disc. You may disassemble the clutch and inspect it. good luck