Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

Car starts fine first time, not second time.

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 08:01 PM
Default Car starts fine first time, not second time.

I have an unusual problem with my 2000 Mazda Protege. Last summer it was bucking in first gear. I came to this forum and discovered the problem might be a cracked air intake hose. Sure enough I checked it and it had a major crack. I replaced the hose and that ended the bucking, but ever since then I've had a new problem. The car starts up fine the first time you get in it. But if you drive it just a few miles, or say about five minutes and shut it off, when you go to restart it, it won't fire up the first time. It starts then quickly stalls. The second time it starts right up and everything is fine again. Not a major problem, but an annoyance. The CEL light is constantly coming on with the P106 MAF code, but I replaced the MAF sensor and that did nothing. It also throws the EGR code, but I have had the valve off twice and tried to clean it, with little positive results. Regardless, the engine stalling problem is new...the CEL lights have been on for a long time. Does anyone know why the car abruptly shuts off after starting? Thanks!