Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

Brake Warning Light On... Fluid Full, Ebrake Down

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 01:14 PM
Default Brake Warning Light On... Fluid Full, Ebrake Down

I recently installed a boost gauge is my MSP. I ran into a problem after the install though. My brake warning light just stays on now. It was somewhat intermittent at first (I could pull the ebrake up and down after about 10 mins of drivingand it would turn off), but now it seems to be here to stay. I'm wondering if its possible, since I was working under the drivers side, if I may have caused a connection to come loose. Also, I didn't ground the gauge to "ground" per se, could this possibly trip something in the pcm and make the warning light come on? Any insigh/testing procedures would be appreciated. Also, it's just the brake light, the ABS light has never come on (except during startup)

Old 02-27-2007, 10:29 PM
Default RE: Brake Warning Light On... Fluid Full, Ebrake Down

PCM has no control over the brake warning light. There are only two things that will turn on the brake light. parking brake switch and fluid level sensor.Knocking something loose would cause the opposite effect of light not coming on with e-brake pulled. Sounds like probable e-brake switch sticking but try just unplugging the fluid level sensor first to see if light goes off. Follow the two wires coming out of the botton side of the master cylinder resevoir untill you find the connector. If light remains on then need to get the center console off from around the parking brake lever and check to make sure it is working correctly.

Old 02-28-2007, 04:20 AM

I tried disconnecting the brake fluid level sensor and it had no affect. I also took the piece surrounding the e brake out and watched the switch with the yellow wire coming off of it, it appeared to be working properly. I tried grounding out the wire coming out of the sensor and only got a reading of 1 volts and on the e brake switch 2 volts, is this normal? I'm afraid when I pushed through the grommet next to the clutch pedal I may have puncturedthe jacketon one ofthe wires and causedit to ground out. [&o]

Old 02-28-2007, 04:35 PM

Wire at parking brake switch should be Green??MSP is a 2003 yes?1 or 2 volts is not normal. With level sensor and parking brake switch disconnected you should see a reading of 12 volts. It looks like you probably have damaged a wire in the harness and grounded it judging by the voltage readings you are getting. Check that harness area to see. Wire in the harness near clutch pedalshould be Blue with Orange stripe just like one of the wires at the level sensor.