Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

automatic transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2005, 04:48 PM
Default automatic transmission problem

I have a 1993 Madza Protege and I am having trouble with the transmission. Any help would be appreciated. The transmission slips and doesnt like to go in gear. After starting the car, I put it in drive and hit the gas but the car doesnt move. It will not drop into gear. If I let it get up to temperature or put it in reverse before drive, it does better trying to get in gear and eventually does but you have to play with the gas paddle. You can hear it slipping and trying to get into first gear but it takes a while to do so. Any time you stop the car at a light or stop sign, the same thing happens again. If you get on the gas right away, the car wont move. But if you hit the gas and back down and continue doing that, it slips and slips but does get into first. This only happens in First gear. Do I need a new transmission or is there another answer. Let me know. Thanks.

Old 06-06-2005, 05:01 PM
Default RE: automatic transmission problem

what ya need is a new clutch, and have the gears checked out in the tranny while you are at it. Just do a normal full service tranny service and have them inspect everything while they are doing it. should fix the problem.

Old 06-06-2005, 07:58 PM

About how much should a normal full service transmission service cost me that you are talking about?

Old 06-07-2005, 06:59 PM

generally a full service tranny service (includes, new filter, drain and refill and cleaning) usually costs about 75 bucks (here in NW Florida) check with local shops to determine how much. and as always start with the least expensive and work your way up, so start with the tranny service, and then determine if there is a gear or clutch problem. When they pull the drain pan on the tranny, ask them if they see any metal shards of any kind, if there are significant amounts, it is indicative of a much larger, more expensive problem. Some very small and sparse amounts, are almost expected. Just ask the service tech his opinion and post what he says on here, so that I have a better idea of what to better check into.........