Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

99 Protege stop & go problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 09:39 PM
Default 99 Protege stop & go problem

Hi, I have 99 Mazda Protege, 5spd, 85.000 ml. Was running great but on the end happend did not start at once some time. Now after service at local shop /change oil, filter, transmision oil/ car will not run in heavy trafic "stop and go" After few min. wil just stamble bad, wont go and cut off on me. It need 10 - 15 min rest and will start again. There is no problem on Highway runs fine at speed. Please help me

Old 10-07-2009, 09:52 PM

slow down man. the first sentence is hard to understand, can not help if I can't understand what you write. Check the air duct running from the air box to the engine VERY throughly. Those hoses look fine but when the engine torque twists the motor ,those cracks open up. The extra air really confuses the ECM.
Get back to me on the translation of the first sentence

Old 10-08-2009, 05:17 PM

I meant I never had problems before with the car, just last Year now I remember that few times car could not start, was cranking but it took few try before starting. I did not pay attention at this time so I do not know if engine was cold or hot. Thenafter regular service at local shop something happened and will not run in heavy traffic /stop & go/. I went back to shop but they are telling me they did not touch nothing more just fluids and filters.

Old 10-15-2009, 02:35 PM

Hi,
I am new to this forum but I may be able to help you, if you can be more specific on your issue.
Is this happen just after your service, then you need to focus on the items that you have just change. Like oil filter, level of engine oil, engine temp etc. If service guys used a different type of oil filter, that may restrict the oil flow resulting over heat. Also check if they have correctly installed the MAF sensor (near air filter) for the correct direction as well as for the proper electrical connection. Check the airfilter as well.
Hope this might help.

Old 10-15-2009, 09:49 PM

Mabikay has a good point. Check the bill the service guy gave you when work was completed. Use this as a "road map" to back track and check the areas where they worked on your car. Check all connections, there is a post by oldeng for Adam S , it lists things to check and clean the ground connections for battery and for the engine. These things oldeng listed are simple to do and do not cost money to accomplish. Good luck ,if you have a buddy to help, your time can be well spent.

Another thought......... is the check engine light (CEL) on during any of this?

Old 10-27-2009, 09:25 PM

Just want thank You guys for help, my protege is in good shape again, I did what Oldeng was talking about and replaced spark plugs, wires and cracked rubber air duct. THANKS