Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

99 protege, problems getting into Drive

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 01:15 PM
Default 99 protege, problems getting into Drive

For the last few months, I have been having a problem getting my car into Drive. It is most noticable if I leave my car overnight, then try to start it in the morning. There are no problems starting the car, and I can reverse with no problems. When I put it into Drive, it acts as if the car is still in neutral. I can rev the engine, but it doesn't seem to "catch." Eventually after about 30 seconds of slight revving, it will start going forward normally. Once it gets going, I don't have any problems. If I turn the car off, then try it again a few minutes later, there is a slight jerk but it usually starts going almost right away. It seems like it almost has to do with the engine having to heat up.

Also, every once in a while, I will also see my overdrive light start flashing on and off. Clicking the overdrive button does nothing, but if I restart the car it usually doesn't come back on. I'm not sure if this is related.

Any ideas what might be going on here?

Old 10-26-2009, 09:29 PM
tye

In the morning you need to let your car warm up for about 7-10 minutes. The oil needs to get at the normal running condition to function properly. If I was you I would check my oil and fluids, and possibly disconnect the battery for a few minutes and restart the computer to see if the overdrive light comes back on?

I drive a standard so I have no clue lol.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:14 AM

I gave that a shot and let the engine warm up for 5+ minutes. I still had the same problem as usual.

As far as oil goes, I change it every 3000 miles and I never notice any difference in behavior after I do. I assume this doesn't matter too much but the dipstick is broken, so all I have is the cap that fits in, the rod part has broken off.

What other fluids would you recommend I check? Transmission fluid? I'm not sure when the last time was this was changed. (Forgive me I know nothing about cars)

Old 11-04-2009, 10:55 PM

check shift cable for stretching . there was a posting about this problem by oldeng
I think. that maybe helpful

Old 11-04-2009, 11:07 PM

type "transmission slipping" in search menu choice on top menu bar. Blinking OD light is a transmission problem. Suggest you have mazda mechanic check it out. good luck