Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

96 Protege 1.5L HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 12:12 PM

Thanks so much for the video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will have someone keep cranking my car until it starts and quickly pinch the fuel return line to check for pressure !

Old 06-01-2013, 01:50 PM

The engine does not have to fire for this. Simply turn on the ignition. The pump should humm or make a few clicking noises and then you should feel some pressure on the feed line and a less so on the return line.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:40 PM

So I did what you told me about checking the fuel pump. On the left line, I felt pressure the same time the fuel pump hummed but I didn't feel anything on the right line. I guess this means that the fuel pump is ruled out now. Correct?

Old 06-08-2013, 12:35 PM

Well, at least the pump deserves the benefit of the doubt.
At this point I am thinking there is a blockage in the fuel line. The first spot would be the sock at the fuel pick up, then there is the inline fuel filter, then the fuel pressure regulator and also the lines themselves, including the return line. Wear nitrile gloves when working with the fuel. Of course: no spark and no open flame!
I would take the fuel filter off. Put a piece of hose on the line and guide it into a container. Have a helper turn the ignition on and see if fuel comes out. If you don't get fuel you need to take the pump out and inspect it.
If you get fuel put a new filter in. (consider cutting the old filter open for inspection)
now you can take off the fuel pressure regulator and do the same test again. If you get fuel there then you know there is fuel in the rail. Maybe the passages to the injectors or the injectors themselves are plugged up. Always check if the fuel is dirty.
If my understanding is correct then you should be able to test the return line by putting a little air pressure into the tank. That should push fuel in reverse flow through the return line to the fuel pressure regulator. That tells yo that the lines are open, but it doesn' tell you anything about the fuel pressure regulator. Those can be expensive, but lets take that bridge when we get there.

Carry on and report back.

Last edited by tanprotege; 06-08-2013 at 12:43 PM.