Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

2003 Protege Alternator Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 01:08 PM
Default 2003 Protege Alternator Problem

Hi All,

I'm new to this forum and I was hoping for some advice. My son's car is a 2003 Protege 2.0l and it wouldn't start this morning after sitting while he was away at school. I charged the battery and got it started but it was squealing badly and smoke came pouring out from the engine compartment. Turned out the alternator belt was fried and I assume the alternator seized. I can turn the pulley by hand but just barely. So I have a couple of questions since I have no experience with this car (and it's been years since I did any serious repairs myself).

First, it looks like a major pain to get this alternator out, and the little I could find searching this forum tends to support that theory. Any suggestions to make the job easier would be appreciated.

Second, from what I could find it seems that aftermarket alternators are not reliable and therefore not recommended. Can you support or refute this? What will a new OEM alternator cost?

Thank you,
Don

Old 05-15-2010, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by ufd108
Hi All,

First, it looks like a major pain to get this alternator out, and the little I could find searching this forum tends to support that theory. Any suggestions to make the job easier would be appreciated.

Second, from what I could find it seems that aftermarket alternators are not reliable and therefore not recommended. Can you support or refute this? What will a new OEM alternator cost?

Thank you,
Don
so ur alternator is bad or ur belt is bad witch is it?

Old 05-16-2010, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by pepdamazdas
so ur alternator is bad or ur belt is bad witch is it?
Since I can't turn the shaft by hand with the belt off I assume the alternator is seized. I need to get the alternator out.

Old 05-19-2010, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by ufd108
Since I can't turn the shaft by hand with the belt off I assume the alternator is seized. I need to get the alternator out.
so u want to take out the alternator? ok i just took pics of how to do it i tryed to explan the best way i can but idk i used a pen to point where the bolt and sensors are at ill post it up later around 6:45. o and what size motor do u have?