Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

2000 Mazda Protege - ABS/Parking Light On!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 08:15 PM

Hi Knewell!

I took the car to Mazda (up here in Canada) and they hooked it up to the computer and told me that it was a faulty ABS module. They wanted $2000 for parts/labour. I refused. I just kept driving the car with the ABS/Parking Brake lights on. Annoying as heck though.

My local mechanic told me that he could remove it from the car and send it off to a place that specializes in fixing damaged ABS module. They wanted $250 to diagnose. I might try that in the spring.

I wish I could give you better news there. Let me know if you come up with a cheaper alternative fix!

Old 10-22-2011, 01:20 PM
Default Did you get yours solved?

Were they able to fix yours?

I have the same problem with my 2000 Mazda Protege. ABS light & brake light. Just paid a mechanic $75 who said he could not fix it and Mazda have discontinued the parts. Says it's the module & computer.

Now I'm going to see if I can do anything about it for myself because it will not pass State Inspection if the emergency brake light is on. Seems unfortunate when the car runs well and the emergency brake works fine.

They think the ABS error and light is causing the emergency brake light to come on too.

Gave me a report:
C1250(29) LR solenoid pressure retention valve
Replace ABS HU/CM
Hydraulic Unit Control Module

Does this mean I have to say goodbye to my Mazda even though it runs fine?

Anyone recommendations out there what I should try next?

Old 10-22-2011, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by knewell
Im having the exact same problem with my 2000 protege.
My ABS & E-brake lights are on, my regular mechanic can't turn it off.
I wanted to avoid going to a Mazda dealership, however have you been able to resolve this problem without going to a dealer? Im not about to put another $1700 into this car.
I want to try to sell it asap, however I can't sell it with these lights on.

please help....
Hi! I've just learned to ignore the lights. It does not impact your car's braking ability in any way. I have heard of some people actually disabling ABS because they detest them so much.

You could try going to a scrapyard? That'd be difficult though....

Sorry couldn't help you any more than that....

Old 03-06-2012, 03:23 PM

Maybe you could go inside the dash and remove the wire to that one light!?!

Old 09-05-2013, 11:18 PM
Default Still frustrated, retrieved ABS Error Codes: 22 & 29

Sill unable to solve my problem with my 2000 Protege D L4-1.6L. Same problem. ABS light on, brake light in dash on & check engine light on. Garage (after handing me a bill) told me they could not fix it because of the following error which they said is likely creating all 3 lights:

DTC C 1250 (20) LR solenoid pressure retention valve
Detection Condition: Solenoid monitor signal does not track in response to solenoid ON/OFF command
Possible cause:
* Open, short to power or short to ground of solenoid valve circuit in ABS HU/CM
* Stuck solenoid valve in ABS HU/CM

Replace ABS HU/CM = Hydraulic Unit Control Module

Anyone know where I can buy a new Hydraulic Unit Control Module for this vehicle? Garage says Mazda no longer makes this part.

Tonight I was able to retrieve ABS error codes myself as:

Front disc, rear are drums.

Any idea what these codes represent?

Funny part is car runs great & brakes work great. But, need to get dash brake light off for successful State Inspection.

Old 09-06-2013, 06:48 AM
Super Moderator

VABeach, if your problem is hydraulic ( ABS pump) surely you can get a 2nd hand unit from a wrecker?

Old 09-06-2013, 08:44 AM

VABeach: I have the ABS-Parking brake lights on on my Ford Windstar. In these vehicles there is a problem with the printed circuit board cracking because of the heat stress. As you I looked for a solution and found these guys. However, I continue to drive with the dam lights on (no inspection here) since I am looking for the ultimate solution: get rid of the van.

But maybe these guys can help you: Automotive Scientific Inc. Your #1 Source for ECU, TCU, ABS, EBCM, Climate Control and Speedometer Repairs

Old 09-06-2013, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
VABeach, if your problem is hydraulic ( ABS pump) surely you can get a 2nd hand unit from a wrecker?
Grim_reaper is that the part I'm looking to replace based on the error information I provided - a hydraulic ABS pump? If so, that's what I'll search at the site tanprotege has recommended. Thank you both!

Old 09-06-2013, 06:46 PM

Unfortunately this part is not available at this site. I'll keep looking for a ABS pump at other locations. If anyone can recommend a particular place to look, please let me know.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:34 PM
Default ABS Control Module

Just ordered an ABS Control Module from:

Genuine Mazda Parts at Wholesale - OEM Mazda Replacement Parts

Will continue posting for others to view (since I spent hours reading other postings with the same probem that just come to an end without noted results).

Quick Reply: 2000 Mazda Protege - ABS/Parking Light On!