Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

1990 Protege clicks once instead of starting

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 04:49 PM
Default 1990 Protege clicks once instead of starting

Hoping someone here can point me in the right direction.

I have a 1990 Protege with an automatic

Car was starting and running alright but one day at the store it wouldn't start back up. Instead when I try to start it there is a single *click* and that's it.

I took the starter off and went to have it tested and it passed so I don't think that is the issue. The battery is new and has a full charge. All fuses are good and all electronics work.

The click is rather loud and while I do not know exactly where it is coming from it may be possible it is from the starter.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 11-04-2010, 06:58 PM

the click is coming from your starter cause its trying to turn over but it doesn't have enough power have you tried boosting the car? i know even though you have tested the battery i have seen before where the battery is fully charged but just by boosting it that got it going have you also tested your spark plug wires?

Old 11-05-2010, 08:10 PM

I tried jumping it but that didn't seem to help.
Have not tested my wires. I'll have to check them out next time.

Old 11-06-2010, 12:30 PM

honestly to me it sounds like the starter even though it was tested you can try to things if you put your car into drive without starting it and pushing it back 4 feet or so so the tranny is in a diffrent spot try starting it then cause i think it might be a dull spot in the starter or even if you try turning the belt on your motor to turn the motor to a diffrent spot you can try those 2 things

Old 11-07-2010, 01:14 AM

I bought and replaced the starter but I'm still having the same problem. I'm about to just light the car on fire and call it good.

Some people have had issues with the main fuse even though it apparently looked fine so I replaced that too but same issue.

I tried putting the car in drive and rolling it but that didn't help either. I can't get my hand around the belt enough to get a good grip and move it otherwise I would try that.

Thanks for the replies.

Old 11-22-2010, 11:34 PM
Default I had that problem fixed permanately one time before

I had 2 different times, 2 different cars before with that same "click problem. On 1 car, the problem was the starter. BUT on my car recently (different car than the 1st) I had that same exact problem. I was never able to make out what the problem was. The battery was good and everything. Then one day, the starter did nothing with the turn of key. I then jumped it. It started! But that "clicking" was worse. Then I decided to check the battery just for fun. Turned out that battery had 1 completely dead cell. But battery seemed good though, although somewhat low voltage "feel". I buy a new battery... then WALLA! The "clicking" STOPPED! For 6 months I never knew that the battery had a dead cell! Evidently thats what was causing the "clicking" all that time. BUT THAT WAS FOR THIS PARTICULAR case.

Old 11-22-2010, 11:55 PM

I have had a lot of experiences of the "clicking". Its a common problem. And the most common reason I come across of, is the amount of electrical current getting into the starter. The starter has to have thas specific amount of current, and cannot be even just a little less than that specific amount needed. Its like when you want to buy a soda at the machine that says 95 cents. The machine is NOT going to give you the soda if you put 90 cents or 92, 93, or even 94 cents. It has to be 95 cents. No less.

Its the same with the amount of "amps" going to starter. Even just a LITTLE short of required current will make it "click" And a very common reason for all this that I came across of many times. The battery CABLE connecting to starter maybe getting corroded! The corrosion is actually getting INSIDE the strands of wire THROUGH the insulation cable. Many times this does NOT show on the outside of cable. So this is OFTEN what causes problem.

So all in all. The most common causes for "clicks" is 1) battery defective in that certian way. 2) The starter is defective. 3) or the battery cable is corroded on the strands of wire INSIDE the insulation.

Last edited by fueledbymusic; 11-22-2010 at 11:57 PM.
Old 11-23-2010, 06:12 PM

Thanks for the reply.
I got a tool to test the power going to the starter. When I get a chance I'll see what it says. Also have a friend coming over to look at it. I'm hoping we can get it figured out. It would be nice if it does turn out to be that the cable is corroded so I can fix it and be done messing around.