Mazda 323,Mazda 626 & Mazda 929 Whether the compact 323, the mid sized 626, or the full sized 929, these vehicles remain very popular even though production has stopped.

626: engine won't turn over, starter clicks

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 06:25 PM
Default 626: engine won't turn over, starter clicks

Hi, I'm new here and I have a problem. I've got a '96, 626, 4cyl., manual that has been giving me intermitent starting trouble. For awhile, it would not always turn over and start on the first try, but it would sooner or later (usually 3rd or 4th turn of the key). Starting yesterday it just would not turn over at all- only click. When this happens you can push start it, but not jump it. The battery is new. Even since yesterday it will start every now and then, but has definately gotten much worse.

I assume this is a starter/solenoid problem, but I have had some trouble finding the thing. Is the starter directly under the intake manifold on these cars? How likely is it that this is a wiring problem and not a starter problem?

Thanks

Old 04-06-2007, 01:06 PM
Default RE: 626: engine won't turn over, starter clicks

Not Mazda specific, but based on my mustang experience Your starter has failed/is failing.

The symptoms are identical. Doesn't start on first try, just clicks, eventually it will get to the point where it never starts.

Push starting doesn't use the starter motor while jump starting does which also points to your starter motor.

You might want to try replacing the solenoid first as it is cheaper and easier... But I would bet good monopoly money that it's your starter.

It should be relatively straightforward to replace, but around here there is a company that claims they can repair/replace your starter for the same cost as buying one and doing it yourself. With the mustang they couldn't beat the best price I could find locally, and they didn't want to try (So what's the point of a price match guarantee when they say "we can't beat that price... get it there instead"?) but it might be an option for you.

Anyway, replacing the starter (if you can get to it) should be a case of unhook the lead running to it, unbolt it from the engine, slide it out. Slide the new one in, bolt it back up to the correct torque. Having never tried I don't know how easy it is to get to on your car.

I hope that this helps,
Z.

Old 04-09-2007, 04:34 PM

ive had the same problem with my manuel 93 mazda 626... I bump started it and turned the key while driveing... anyways after a couple of times of doing that it started working again... happend to me about a year later and i did the same thing and after several bump starts it runs fine my friend told me it was on a dead spot or somethen....!

Old 04-09-2007, 08:35 PM

If you are hearing the click noise but nothing else from the starter then you are probably looking at a faulty starter. The click is at least telling you that the ignition switch and wiring to it are ok. Check connections to the starter and if they are all ok look into finding a new starter.

Old 04-26-2007, 06:58 AM

Hi there, I have had a similar problem with my 626. There are two wires one that goes to the starter motor and one that goes somewhere else. If these have been bumped or moved they could have gotten mixed up and put on the wrong connectors. If the wires haven't been moved there is a high possiblity that the starter motor is about to die. From what it seems if it has been an on going problem, I would suggest getting your starter motor tested

Old 05-01-2007, 04:08 PM

I'm having a very similar problem as what is described here. I have a 1999 Mazda 626 that will crank and turn over but not start. It happens intermittently, but usually around 5 pm, when I'm trying to go home from work. I had the local dealer take a look at it, and of course they could not replicate the problem. They did check the starter (my first guess), the solenoid, the alternator, and everything else they could think of. They could not find anything wrong with any of those items. The lead mechanic surmised that the problem is actually with the anti-theft package on the car, in that the anti-theft computer isn't getting the right signal from the key I'm using, which happens to be the same key we've used ever since we bought the car (we're the original owners). So, either the key is having issues and not sending the right signal, or the computer thinks it's not getting the right signal to allow the engine to start. This is an automatic transmission, so I haven't been able to "bump" start the engine, as described by others. The battery is fine, and apparently everything else is fine, too. Babyhuey, does this sound like a problem other Mazdas have with the anti-theft package? I'm curious to know whether my local dealer can identify a bad starter motor.

Old 09-12-2010, 08:09 AM

Before I registered, I had found an answer from somebody with an image of the underhood fuse box showing the relay switch. Now that I registered I can't find that note.

Old 09-12-2010, 08:10 AM

My Mazda Protege 2000 just suddenly will not start. No different in Park and neutral than any other gear. No acknowledgement of trying to start it. The lights come on, and the battery checked out good.