Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

03 Protege wont start!!! Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 03:51 PM
Default 03 Protege wont start!!! Help!!!

So my engine light was blinking, i took it to autozone and had them hook the cpu up to it and it said I had a misfire in cylinder 4! So I replaced the spark plug and the coil pack! It ran fine but the engine light was still on and blinking! The next day it wouldnt start! The engine would turnover but the car would not crank! I have changed all the spark plug wires and the coil packs and all the spark plugs and it still wont start! Need a solution and im taking it to a mechanic and dont want to get ripped off!

Old 11-23-2010, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by QG9721
So my engine light was blinking, i took it to autozone and had them hook the cpu up to it and it said I had a misfire in cylinder 4! So I replaced the spark plug and the coil pack! It ran fine but the engine light was still on and blinking! The next day it wouldnt start! The engine would turnover but the car would not crank! I have changed all the spark plug wires and the coil packs and all the spark plugs and it still wont start! Need a solution and im taking it to a mechanic and dont want to get ripped off!
It sounds like the computer of some kind in the car is shot. OR it maybe to do with the immobilizer sys in the car.

Old 11-23-2010, 04:26 AM
Super Moderator

I would first go back and double check your work. Even the best of us can forget to reconnect or replace something. Retrace everything you've done stqrting from one end and working backwards to the other.
I once had a car that I did a simple tune-up on. Afterwards could not get it to start for the life of me and it ran fine before hand. After three days of beating my head against the wall, I decided to work backawards by putting all the old parts back in, one at a time until the car started.
Wouldn't you know it? The new condensor fresh out of its box was bad. A 25 cent part caused me all that headache and time. I installed the old one. The car started right up and ran like a champ again.
Sometimes, just sometimes, its the little things.....

How are your vacuum hoses? How is the inlet hose from the airbox to the throttle body? Look for stuff like that?