Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

95 Protege wont start

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 11:51 PM
Default 95 Protege wont start

1995 Mazda Protege 1.5L It cranks over. It has spark,fuel to fuel rail pump is good but cant get it to start. Also good compression. It was running in the garage and just shut off. I scanned the computer and it said fuel shut off valve circuit high. does any one know if it might be the fuel pressure regulator or the fuel pressure regulator control solenoid valve? let me know as soon as possible

Old 05-05-2006, 08:46 PM
Default RE: 95 Protege wont start

No codes match that description. Do you remember the specific code number? Pressure regulator or control solenoid unlikely unless regualator is stuck closed and running fuel pressure up to max pump output. Are the spark plugs getting wet with fuel after repeated cranking?

Old 05-05-2006, 11:29 PM

not sure of the code number ill scan it again tomorrow when i go back to my shop. the spark plugs do not get wet i check the injectors are getting power and do fire but does not shoot fuel. thanks for your help

Old 05-06-2006, 12:47 AM

This sounds very similar to the problem I had. It turned out to be the mass air flow sensor . I also had power to the injectors, good fuel pressure, spark, and good compression. What I did was to remove the sensor assembly from the air cleaner housing and air inlet tube. Next get some non chlorinated brake cleaner and clean the thin wire sensor inside. DO NOT TOUCH the thin wire with a screwdriver, or the like, as it will break easily. After reassembly it was like a night and day difference! The MAF is very sensitive and when it gets a thin layer of carbon build up on it, it cannot read the air properly and will not signal the computer to open the injectors. I do thank babyhuey and the gray mazda 6 which helped me figure this one out.

Old 05-06-2006, 09:11 AM

Ill try that Thanks ffor your help

Old 05-07-2006, 11:58 PM

thanks for your help but its not the mass air flow

Old 05-11-2006, 09:54 AM

ok I figured out that im am not getting fuel cause im not getting power to thye injectors. I replace the blown fuses that i found and the bad injection relay does anyone else have and suggestions

Old 05-11-2006, 06:05 PM

Getting confusing here. Back a few post back you said "the spark plugs do not get wet i check the injectors are getting power and do fire but does not shoot fuel."
Are you now getting 12 volts to the White w/ Blue stripe wire at each injector?

Old 05-12-2006, 01:22 AM

i HAVE A POSITIVE WHEN THE IGNITION KEY IS ON BUT i MUST NOT HAVE A GROUND THE INJECTORS R NOT FIRING NOW

Old 05-12-2006, 04:04 AM

You should have 12V constant when the key is on. The engine compter supplies the ground signal in millisecond pulses. If you had a constant ground at all times the injectors would stay wide open and flooding the cylinders with fuel. You need the pulse to open the injectors at a specific rate. This is how fuel injection works.

Do you know for sure that it is fuel you are lacking? Have you checked the fuel pressure or for spark? An easy way to check for a no fuel problem is to remove the breather tube on the air intake tube and spray a bit of carb cleaner through the supplied straw and see if it tries to start.

Quick Reply: 95 Protege wont start