Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

02 P5 with code p0705

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 02:01 PM
Default 02 P5 with code p0705

Hey all, After having my alternator fix on my protege I was driving home and my check engine light pops on and then my O/D off light starts flashing and the car is revving higher than normal. I get home and hook up the code reader and I get the P0705. Now I know that means I could need to replace the transaxle range sensor. So I have a few questions:

1) While the mechanic was fixing the alternator, could he have done something to cause this code?
2) When I shift into reverse, there is a big jolt and it shifts hard. Could this still be the trans sensor or something more serious?
3) I live about 20 mins from a garage, so is it safe to still drive it or should I just have it towed?
4) or is it something that could easily be done in my driveway? (a link with steps would be so helpful)

I have been searching the web for days on these answers and am getting nowhere. I just replaced my tranny a year and a half ago and feel sick at the thought that I am having tranny troubles already. Thanks is advance for any help!

Old 08-16-2012, 03:00 PM

I have an 02 tribute that not only has a recall notice for the cruise control, but also previous in the past had a recall on the throttle cable. I have no cel