Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

'00 protege 5 speed sound while accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 04:42 PM
Exclamation '00 protege 5 speed sound while accelerating

I recently purchased a used 2000 mazda protege 5 speed. About a week ago I noticed this sound that resembles spinning metals running against each other. Could be almost mistaken for air sounds. It only occurs while engaging into first gear, throughout first gear and halfway through acceleration in second gear. No check engine light, no loss of power. It's also not the sound of any trans grinding or slipping. Clutch pedal compression feels about half life. Curious as to what it may be. A google search did not lead me in any right direction. Sound does increase with acceleration pedal depression. I've also noticed slightly rough idling while the car is fully warmed up. That problem feels as if it's time to replace plugs,wires and coil pack. I figured I would throw that in there in case they somehow happen to be linked. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 02-01-2014, 04:36 AM

would be a good idea to check lubrication level in the transaxle. for the rough idle check the stuff you mentioned, the pcv valve and clean the egr valve if you can.

Old 02-02-2014, 11:40 AM

Took it to jiffy lube today to do an oil change and have fluids checked. They said it was topped off and the fluid was still ok. Not sure how much trust can be put into these places, I've always checked and replaced fluids myself. The weather here in Chicago is too terrible to sit and do it street side which is why I took it somewhere. Still making the noise. Definitely on the trans dump and fill side of the engine bay. I guess the closest sound I can think it resembles would be the sound of a rotor gently running against something else metal, but I don't think it is the rotor itself because if I rev higher and ease into gear it makes just as loud of noise as normal..at half the speed. Seems to drive and shift excellently regardless.