Mazda BT 50 & Pickup Trucks While Mazda may not be known for their trucks, they have always produced quality reliable trucks for both hauling cargo, or simply crusing. BT 50

How Do I pull codes out of my 1988

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 11:37 PM
Default How Do I pull codes out of my 1988

I have a 1988 B2600i, 4x4 with about 163,000 miles. And the check engine light is on. Now the truck is also having issues on starting. But the check engine light statys on. I say some threads about a green wire under the hood and ground it but cant find that wire on this model. Also truck doesnt have the little rectangle box under the steering wheel either. I just want to get my truck to run and maybe by pulling the codes it may help me figure out what is wrong with it. Also how do you know when the ECU is at fault without paying for a new one an swapping it out. Those ECU are expensive to say the least lol. Any help will be helpful as of now Im stumped as where to go from here. Thanks

Old 11-02-2008, 01:41 AM
Default RE: How Do I pull codes out of my 1988

Do you have an Advance Auto around, they can normally pull the codes for you.

Old 11-02-2008, 05:00 AM
Super Moderator

Here"s the problem as I see it... and I am not specifically familiar w/your vehicle:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_Board_Diagnostics#OBD-I
OBD-I
The regulatory intent of OBD-I was to encourage auto manufacturers to design reliable emission control systems that remain effective for the vehicle's "useful life". The hope was that by forcing annual emissions testing for California, and denying registration to vehicles that did not pass, drivers would tend to purchase vehicles that would more reliably pass the test. Along these lines, OBD-I was largely unsuccessful—the means of reporting emissions-specific diagnostic information was not standardized. Technical difficulties with obtaining standardized and reliable emissions information from all vehicles led to an inability to implement effectively the annual testing program.
In short, there were no specific standards for an OBD-I vehicle and the only place you might b able to get a code is a dealer who still has that equipment. The fact that most are not interested in cars more than 10 yrs old might make things tough too. Notice the text ... that remain effective for the vehicle's "useful life".

Old 11-02-2008, 11:02 AM

At 60K miles, 80K, 120K, etc., the Malfunction Indicator Light will come on, supposedly so you get dealer to check emissions but more likely so they can try to sell you a timing belt replacement. By the way, do get the timing belt replaced every 60K miles, and maybe get the water pump changed at the 120K point along with it, as it's an internal water pump, behind the timing belt, and mine started leaking at that point, so it's a big labor savings $$$ to do both at once. The Malfunction Indicator Light is re-set by swapping a wire push-on connector under the dash, driver side, right next to the firewall; it's hard to see, lie down and look up, there will be a bare connector, just swap it, then swap back next time the light goes on at that set interval.
OBD-II is for 1996 and newer vehicles, uniform code reader for those. I've got the '88 Mazda truck factory manual, it says that an 88 2600 is carbureted, not a 2600i (injected). Anyway,the manualshows a dealer engine signal monitor 49 9200 162 and adapter 49U018 002 to read the codes.

Old 11-02-2008, 10:31 PM

Well In other words Im better off getting rid of the truck then. Okay and Advanced auto no longer reads codes here in NH. I dont know but something about they are privately run and its one of many options the owners themselfs can choose to do or not. But thanks for all the help I thought it might be easier to get the codes and figure out what wrong with this thing, I have been all thru the fuel lines and as far as I can see its getting fuel and fire. I think its the ECU that killing me and its expensive altho I might see about getting one out of a salvage yard tomorrow and see if that works or not. Other then that Im lost on what to do. It acts like it want to crank but doesnt. If you pour gas or carb cleaner down the intake it will run just fine till its all gone that I poured in. It just eats me up. Thanks for everything Bryan

Old 11-02-2008, 11:27 PM
Super Moderator

When then, it sounds like you aren"t getting fuel.
Perhaps an internal carb problem? (i.e. dirt or varnish?)
Did the truck sit for a while, long enough for the fuel to go bad?

Old 11-03-2008, 11:22 AM

Hello and Yes the truck did sit for sometime before I got it. And I will have to drain the tank and find out if it could be the gas. But as for the carb issue thats a negative its fuel injected its the B2600i model. And thanks I will check the fuel today and let you know tomorrow.