Mazda MX-3 and Mazda MX-6 These two sporty models have become popular cars for import tuners due to the availability of parts, the low price, and the smooth lines.

My MX-3 is giving me more gray hairs!

Old 10-21-2013, 02:33 PM
Default My MX-3 is giving me more gray hairs!

So, with the help of people on here I have fixed the VRIS#2 on my 94 mx-3. After the fix and after I put everything back together there was another problem and the car "chugging" and not being able to maintain idle. Took manifold off again (getting pretty good at this!) found I missed hooking up a hose that was directly on the underside of the manifold and attached that. At this time I replaced gaskets that I failed to previously, i.e. manifold gaskets and Throttle body gaskets.

So, now I start the car to see if I corrected the problem. It started right up and didn't chug anymore but had an extremely high idle that I fixed, but now I noticed white exhaust coming from the tail pipe. Also, had an extremely high pitched squeal coming from the engine and smoke rising up and a rubber smell. I figure this is a belt going, and I haven't yet timed the engine. So, I'm not all that worried about that. However, my check engine light came on again. So far I have had codes 46, 17 and 24 show up (not all at the same time). I fixed code 46 (VRIS#2) and then I had a 17 and 24 show up. Fixed the hose under the manifold and now I don't get 46, 17 or 24, but have code 16 (Exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) system).

I didn't get this code before and don't know why I am now. The simplest solution is that I didn't have a hose connected in the area of the EGRs. I looked today and seems everything is connected although not sure if I could have misconnected a couple of them.

REALLY getting tired of one thing after another with this car, but I really love the car, plus can not afford a different car right now.

Anyone have any idea what the EGR code could mean. I never got them before and did now when I put everything back together. Also, do you think the screeching and rubber smell is the belt and just need to be timed.

Sorry for the long message, but I try to make everything as clear as possible. Thanks in advance!

Old 10-21-2013, 02:58 PM
Banned

Try cleaning the EGR valve, they do get stuck. Change the PCV valve (mazda doesn't), and clean throttle body.

Old 10-21-2013, 03:07 PM

What Noggin said and:
check the drive belt for the alternator/power steering/AC/water pump. I believe there are two belts. Replace them and before you put the new belts on use some sandpaper and roughen the V- grooves at the alternator pulley. While the belts are off you may be able to spin the pulleys to check the bearings.

Old 10-21-2013, 06:39 PM

ok, double checked the EGR valves and cleaned the vacuum side. Blew through the PCV valve. Connected everything, did paperclip test and now it gives me a 29 EGR Vent Solenoid.

How does a person clear the codes, I have seen some posts where the poster has mentioned cleaning the codes to get an accurate reading.

I guess I'm making progress since now I only have the vent side messing up.

Old 10-21-2013, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by BengalBrad
ok, double checked the EGR valves and cleaned the vacuum side. Blew through the PCV valve. Connected everything, did paperclip test and now it gives me a 29 EGR Vent Solenoid.

How does a person clear the codes, I have seen some posts where the poster has mentioned cleaning the codes to get an accurate reading.

I guess I'm making progress since now I only have the vent side messing up.
Replace the vent soleniod. You have OBD1, only way I know to clear the code is unhook the battery. Does it run any better, or is it running fine? Do you have emission testing?

Old 10-21-2013, 08:50 PM

It's running better, has more pep to it. I guess I have cleared the codes every time because I've been disconnecting the battery whenever I work on it.

My problem with the codes is that they keep popping up. Like I said before this started with code 46 and only 46. Fixed that and got code 17 and 24, and then only those two. Now I have code 16. 17 and 24 were because I didn't connect a hose. So, I'm kind of leaning towards that being a problem here (not really sure where EGR vent solenoid is). I highly doubt my engine is taking turns and having things break down. What I need I guess is a illustration of the EGR Vent solenoid and the hose positions for it.

Thx

Old 10-22-2013, 08:49 AM

Hey, Bengal Brad: you are getting close, don't give up.

When I am not sure how something looks like or where it is I do a google image search. That's how I came up with this schematic:

You probably noticed that there is no EGR Vent Solenoid. I think they renamed it EGR Boost Sensor Solenoid.

Make sure all the vacuum lines are good and that the nipple at the intake manifold is not clogged with deposits.
EricTheCarGuy has an excellent Youtube on cleaning the EGR system in a Mazda of some sorts.

The MX3 with the 4 cylinder and the Protege are the same. In my 98 Protege the EGR Boost Sensor and its Solenoid Valve are located at the firewall, passenger side. It gets the vacuum signal through a vacuum hose that goes down behind the intake manifold. If that hose is missing use a mirror and flashlight to locate a brass nipple at the backside of the manifold.

Last edited by tanprotege; 10-22-2013 at 08:58 AM.