Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

I'm getting more and more peed off at Mazda!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 02:40 PM
Default I'm getting more and more peed off at Mazda!

Hello. I've been trying to repair a broken passenger side windshield wiper on a 1993 Protege. It broke in half at the assembly that comes out of the metal of the car.
Anyway, it's been two weeks now and finally received the proper parts as the Mazda parts dept. had no two clues as to what was needed, until I showed them on their own computer graphics. Parts arrived and I removed the old broken part off the car. On the old part, I had to disconnect the two arm linkages that are attached to the linkage of the wiper. There are nylon clips on each arm and they are designed to be replaced, so the old ones had to be broken to remove the main wiper assembly from the car. I do not have these two nylon clips which hold the arms to the main part. Went to Mazda dealer again (10 km each way, so that's 40 kms now) and brought all the old parts with me. They were unable to find these nylon clips on their computer and they do not know what to tell me! HELLOOOO anyone there at Mazda ? This is my wife's car and it is well cared for, but the more I look at it and repair things, the more I see it's just JUNK! And, the dealer can't find the parts I need to repair it. What does that say about the car when the parts and service dept. has no two clues! I own a Toyota truck, a RX300 AWD Lexus and a 1993 Nissan Pathfinder, all in excellent condition and at Toyota, the parts manager knows his parts. I'll never own a Mazda after seeing how poorly this Protege is made and how unknowledgeable the dealership is. This is in Lethbridge, Alberta!
Anyone know about the two nylon clips that are needed to hold the two arms on the passenger side windshield wiper assembly ? Thank you.

Old 08-21-2009, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator

This is just an educated guess, but I'd say they are part of the linkage/arms, if you will. You may have to buy them in order to get the clips. Not that uncommon a thing.

Old 08-21-2009, 07:15 PM
Default You're right!

You are right. Mazda called me back and they want the new part that they sold to me returned so as to re-order the same part already attached to the two arms.
They want CA$140.00 for that!
That really ticks me off. First they sell me the part I needed so I know it is available separately from the arms. All I needed was the two nylon clips and a new "O" ring which they forgot to mention. The part they sold to me was only $29.00. All there is on the two arms are nylon parts that should be available somewhere and I know I can put those on myself. Do you or anyone know if this part is cheaper in the USA ? I have already bypassed Canadian Toyota dealers and taken my vehicles to Washington or Montana for major maintenance work because it is so much cheaper in the good old USA. Or an aftermarket part ? That would really help me.
I appreciate your response.
Thanks.
RM

Old 08-21-2009, 11:56 PM
Super Moderator

I highly doubt the AM would be an option. Used perhaps, from a junkyard?

If it makes you feel any better: My wife has had this Saturn for a number of years now. We bought it used w/low mileage. Shortly after we bought, it developed a nasty, annoying squeak in the clutch pedal. After trying to lubricate the thing myself with everything in the book, I finally took it back to the dealer we bought it from.
They said, clutch master was bad. I thought, hmmm???, but let them replace it. What I didn't know is that it comes complete as a full system, master, slave reservoir and hose. Guess what that cost?
A couple yrs later, she called me. 'The car is stuck in 2nd and the shifter just flops around.'
I was very busy at that time, but when I looked at it, I could see that a little plastic bushing between the shift lever and the cable was bad. Hold the shift lever in the bushing and everything worked. So the bushing was simply worn and needed replacing. Fine! We didn't have time to wait, so I took it in.
To make a long story shorter, well over $450 later we got it back. The bushing can't be had separately either. New shift lever, ball and socket, shift mount and both cables all come together as one unit.
It took them over 2 hrs and the shifter ASSEMBLY alone was nearly $350 when all it needed a 50 cent plastic bushing.

Last edited by virgin1; 08-22-2009 at 12:01 AM.
Old 08-22-2009, 01:06 AM
Talking

Originally Posted by Swoop
Hello. I've been trying to repair a broken passenger side windshield wiper on a 1993 Protege. It broke in half at the assembly that comes out of the metal of the car.
Anyway, it's been two weeks now and finally received the proper parts as the Mazda parts dept. had no two clues as to what was needed, until I showed them on their own computer graphics. Parts arrived and I removed the old broken part off the car. On the old part, I had to disconnect the two arm linkages that are attached to the linkage of the wiper. There are nylon clips on each arm and they are designed to be replaced, so the old ones had to be broken to remove the main wiper assembly from the car. I do not have these two nylon clips which hold the arms to the main part. Went to Mazda dealer again (10 km each way, so that's 40 kms now) and brought all the old parts with me. They were unable to find these nylon clips on their computer and they do not know what to tell me! HELLOOOO anyone there at Mazda ? This is my wife's car and it is well cared for, but the more I look at it and repair things, the more I see it's just JUNK! And, the dealer can't find the parts I need to repair it. What does that say about the car when the parts and service dept. has no two clues! I own a Toyota truck, a RX300 AWD Lexus and a 1993 Nissan Pathfinder, all in excellent condition and at Toyota, the parts manager knows his parts. I'll never own a Mazda after seeing how poorly this Protege is made and how unknowledgeable the dealership is. This is in Lethbridge, Alberta!
Anyone know about the two nylon clips that are needed to hold the two arms on the passenger side windshield wiper assembly ? Thank you.
Your car is 16 years old and the dealer most likely won't stock all replacement parts for your vehicle. Dealers usually carry or have access to replacement parts for a vehicle 8-10 years after it is made, sometime longer but it's a gamble. You can always go to your local juck yard, parts store and Ebay.