Mazda MX-3 and Mazda MX-6 These two sporty models have become popular cars for import tuners due to the availability of parts, the low price, and the smooth lines.

Mazda MX-3 - wrong maf sensor and airbox???

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 05:19 AM
Default Mazda MX-3 - wrong maf sensor and airbox???

Hi there, I am new to this forum and bought my mx3 1.6(?) automatic in May off a garage.

I was told it was a 1.6 and has the mx5 engine, however on taking it to my mechanic to investigate crappy fuel consumption and some kind of leaking under car where i park. He discovered that the reason why fuel consumption is poo is because some twit before me (prev owner or garage) put the wrong maf sensor in and wrong air box, they do not line up, and a pipe (forget where) is not connecting and it can't connect as where it should connect there is nothing to connect to?!
Also steel cooler pipes to auto gearbox is where the leak is, so have been leaking transmission fluid i think, he has fixed this and replaced parts.
Also some monkey used sealant and too much sealant around gasket rocker cover so this has leaked too. Why sealent was used i don't know?!!

I should really get my mechanic friend to come with me when i buy cars! I really like my car by the fuel consumption is rubbish £46 = full tank and that done me 70 miles. I have heard that autos aren't that great at using fuel, but surely it should be better than this???

The other issue is he thinks it is not a 1.6 at all but a 1.8 or 1.5 ?? This is an import by the way from prev owner. The manual that came with it says 1.6 but he thinks the engine is completelt different to what is shown in manual.

Sorry for the long post!!!!

What i need to know is any suggestions on the correct maf sensor and air box needed?

Also if i post some pics of under bonnet, can somebody with experience help in identifying what type of engine i have??? As this is an import and may have been fiddled with before i bought it.

Any ideas, suggestions, advice would be great

Thanks in advance

Old 11-08-2009, 05:29 AM

Picture would help a lot. Plus, you didn't mention the year of your mx3, which would tell us if you're dealing with an originally equipped SOHC or DOHC 1.6.
Some sealant is recommended on the valve cover gasket, especially at the corners. However, too much can be as bad as not enough. It doesn't take much for the DOHC, to that I can attest...
As to it possibly being an MX5 engine, i'm inclined to say it can't, or rather, shouldn't be. I found an article when researching engines for my first mx3 that stated the early mx5's engine has differing oil passageways, due to difference in engine orientation. Seemed plausible to me...

Old 11-09-2009, 02:50 AM

Thanks for the reply

i have managed to find out it is a 4 cylinder 16 valve 1.6 DOHC year of make is 1995. I will get pics posted soon, been a bit busy.