Mazda MX-3 and Mazda MX-6 These two sporty models have become popular cars for import tuners due to the availability of parts, the low price, and the smooth lines.

Head gasket

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 12:47 AM
Default Head gasket

Hey guys, I have a 94 mx3 1.6 4cyl DOHC and I'm pretty sure I have a leaky head gasket. When I start my car after it's been sitting for a while it will smoke from the back,
Sometimes barely and sometimes it just pours out.
I'm wanting to do this myself to save some cash but also want to change the water pump and timing belt while I'm in there.

So do you guys think this would be a reasonable project for me? I don't have access to fancy tools or anything and don't have much mechanics skill but need it Done. Any advice on how to get started or where I could find a walktheough would be much appreciated!

Old 06-23-2013, 01:50 PM

Twixter96: I would call you very, very courageous or destitute if you would do these jobs as your first forays into automotve repair.

I suggest you look for youtubes on how to do these jobs and pay attention on what tools are needed.

But first make sure your diagnosis is correct. Here is half an our of education:

Old 07-02-2013, 12:51 PM

Leak down is a good test, you may be able to aviod that by simply checking the oil to see if it is milky looking (means it has coolant in it), or check the radiator for oil (brown color) Also, with a cold engine swipe your finger on the inside of your radiator filler cap and radiator coolant reservoir, checking for caked on oil (long term slow leak). A head gasket job like protege said would be awfully agressive for a first, but it can be done. You will need a torque wrench as a specialty (can rent from auto parts store)

Old 07-03-2013, 07:15 PM

I haven't done the leak down test but I did the other ones up listed, and found no coolant in my oil or vice versa. Is it possible something else is making the exhaust smoke on startup? Its hasn't done it for a while now but it used to every morning. Could it of been just from the colder weather?

Old 07-03-2013, 07:25 PM

What colour is the smoke?

If it was only doing it during colder weather, what you were seeing was probably just steam/water vapor. Exhaust gas is made up of a large percentage of water. This is why we have weep holes in the bottom of our mufflers. Then every now and then, when it is colder, you may see drips of water coming from the exhaust or steam coming from the tail pipe.

Usually when your engine is burning something abnormal the smoke will be distinctive.

White smoke = coolant
Black smoke = Rich fuel mixture
Bluish grey smoke = Oil