Mazda MX-3 and Mazda MX-6 These two sporty models have become popular cars for import tuners due to the availability of parts, the low price, and the smooth lines.

Fuel light come on but have fuel in tank

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 06:48 PM
Default RE: Fuel light come on but have fuel in tank

You should be able to check the fuel pressure at the engine. There should be something that looks like a tire pressure valve (like on your car tires) on the fuel rail that feeds the engine, hook up a fuel pressure gauge to that fitting and fire up the car. If you see pressure, you're getting fuel. Not sure what the nominal pressure should be set to, but at least you'll know if you're getting any fuel. I've seen other fuel injected engines with nominal fuel pressure of 32 lbs. (not sure if that is correct for your car or not.)

I believe your "fuel light" is a "low fuel" light. I don't think that has anything to do with your fuel pump.

How much gas is in your tank? Is the gas old?

Old 03-31-2007, 07:34 PM

hello sstllaure,
yes the fuel is consider old, but i added another like 1.5 gallon or around 6 to 7 litres of new fuel in. one other question, if i put my key to acc on , the fuel gauge suppose to go up to show the level of the fuel in the tank? or the engine has to started in order to have the fuel gauge to show the level of the fuel in the fuel tank. thank

Old 03-31-2007, 11:41 PM

Fuel gauge should register when you turn key to run position or when all of the dash warning light come on also. Your best bet to see if you are getting fuel up to the engine is just to remove the filter outlet line and have someone crank the engine while you are looking to see if you have any fuel coming out of the filter. Filter is located just to the rear and below you air cleaner housing. The line coming out of the top is the outlet line. Am wondering about something you wrote in a prior post. You said "my car wont start up anymore. , i put in new battery, starter is good , i can tell the engine try to crank....". Is your engine even turning over like normal when cranking or at all? Just got me wondering as you would not normally replace a battery and starter if the engine was cranking over just fine. Also if the engine is cranking over fine is the speed erratic or very rythmic?

Old 03-31-2007, 11:41 PM

Fuel gauge should register when you turn key to run position or when all of the dash warning light come on also. Your best bet to see if you are getting fuel up to the engine is just to remove the filter outlet line and have someone crank the engine while you are looking to see if you have any fuel coming out of the filter. Filter is located just to the rear and below you air cleaner housing. The line coming out of the top is the outlet line. Am wondering about something you wrote in a prior post. You said "my car wont start up anymore. , i put in new battery, starter is good , i can tell the engine try to crank....". Is your engine even turning over like normal when cranking or at all? Just got me wondering as you would not normally replace a battery and starter if the engine was cranking over just fine. Also if the engine is cranking over fine is the speed erratic or very rythmic?