Mazda MX-3 and Mazda MX-6 These two sporty models have become popular cars for import tuners due to the availability of parts, the low price, and the smooth lines.

A few pictures of my '92 MX-3 GS

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2022, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by AWK
Really nice! You never see these much anymore. Send me a PM if you don’t mind. I wanted to ask you more about the car.
Thanks AWK. I enjoy keeping these kind of oddball cars on the road! I've also got a 944, 928, and 740 turbo wagon in the mix. Will send you that PM.

Old 11-03-2022, 12:10 PM

Really gorgeous car OP! I PM'd you since I have a 94' v6 24V and have some questions!

Old 02-05-2023, 02:11 PM

Thanks hiperbolt! It's currently under the knife for some rust repairs by the rocker panels, and I've been stalling a bit on the project, but happy to answer any Q's. PM replied, apologies for the late reply...

Old 02-05-2023, 05:39 PM

Well then, I guess there is hope for my recent project, s '92 GS 5-speed in Blaze Red. One owner, but it sat for about 16 years before the family donated to a non-profit. Non-profit had it for sale for awhile on Market Place. Caught my interest as a project, but they were asking way too much as a "rare" car. Eventually it came down to a point where I went to look at it. Solid and mostly all there, but cruddy inside and out. Plug wires were chewed up, but the harness wiring looked fine as far as I could see. I made a parts list with costs and presented an offer that would give them more than a recycler, but allow me to refurbish it to market value. Second-hand information suggested it needs a fuel pump.

So I got it dollied to my driveway in September 2022. Weather allowed me some time to pull the seats, clean them and the carpet. Vacuumed crud in all the nooks and crannies and washed it. With all the fall and winter rain I discovered leaking from the B-pillar area on both sides. Still chasing it, but appears either the sunroof drains or the weatherstrip for the lift gate. Need to get the headliner out to find the source.

Also collecting some new OE parts and found other items on ebay. Suspect I'll need to replace the fuel tank due to long term storage. Aftermarket tanks are reasonable - anyone out there replaced one with the Dorman tank? I have a service manual and am using the winter time to start getting some insight to the inner workings. At a 123,000 miles it will need the timing belt done. Anything I need to be aware of in that task or slick tricks? I have no room in my garage to work on this project so outdoors will have to do. Hoping to get it running before I dig too deep into maintenance items - just want to baseline its health. Figuring if I change too many things I risk introducing screw ups on my part and complicate troubleshooting to get it running.

I took this on because you don't see these around very much anymore and it would make a good stablemate for my '91 Miata. As a 72 year-old retiree I was hoping this would keep my brain busy and give me some hobby-like project, hopefully with a successful outcome. Any advice is appreciated. Hoping I can approach the success level of Silverlined's car!