Mazda MX-3 and Mazda MX-6 These two sporty models have become popular cars for import tuners due to the availability of parts, the low price, and the smooth lines.

92 mx-3 kl-ze project

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 07:30 PM
Arrow 92 mx-3 kl-ze project

was a Camaro owner, proud to say I now drive a mx-3.
the car is a 92 mx-3 GS 5spd that has a swapped kl-de, short throw shifter, headers, and many more goodies. problem is the engine is needing a rebuild so instead we are swapping it out for a kl-ze. the body has been modified to have a rsx front bumper, headlights and side skirts. car looks rough at the moment but I can see the potential.
my plans are
swap kl-de for kl-ze
sand and paint car(thinking dark orange with sticker- bombed wing, sunroof, and black hood)
change single exhaust to dual exhaust
under-glow, interior lights, and sound system
installation
change cracked front glass
re-fabric interior and install new steering wheel
this car is meant to be more show than race but still have some ***** under the hood.
would love input from someone who has done this swap. hope u enjoy the photos to come.

Old 12-19-2013, 02:32 PM

Welcome to the forum!
Jigsaw: you , BengalBrad, Tomeegun and TooQuick260 should form a club all by yourselves! I'll join for the social events.....

Last edited by tanprotege; 12-19-2013 at 02:35 PM.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:41 PM

hey thanks for the welcome. im still pretty new to not just this forum but forums in general. I don't know who the other are that you recommended for the group but ill try to find some time to look them up. im really exited about finding a group that appreciates mx-3's as much as I do. most of my friends dislike the body of these wonderful rides.

Old 12-23-2013, 01:12 PM

Hey Welcome!!!

I do love my MX-3, so much fun to drive and has been everything to me (I was for a short time, homeless and had to sleep in her (I call her nugs), I'm 6' 220lbs, can you imagine? lol)

Anyhow if you look back on some of my posts you will see the work I've done, the assistance I have gotten (awesome group here) and where I'm at now. I am stuck on one thing right now however and maybe you can help me. I obviously have a vacuum leak somewhere, and I know where to find it thanks to the group. However, I have a hose that I can not find it's place on the engine. Everyone here, and also Scotty Kilmer from YouTube, is stumped. It is approx 8" long has a connector to it for another hose, has one open end and one end that has a plug in it, diameter is slightly smaller than a dime. I'll put a pic here of it.

They are great cars and I have even done some sanding and painting. After I wax and buff it I'll send more pics.

BTW my car: 94 MX-3 GS 1.8 engine 6-cylinder, automatic, engine is a K8.

Attached Thumbnails 92 mx-3 kl-ze project-nugs110513-002.jpg   92 mx-3 kl-ze project-nugs110513-003.jpg   92 mx-3 kl-ze project-nugs110513-004.jpg  
Old 12-23-2013, 01:36 PM
Banned

If there is an aftermarket intake, that hose may have been part of the original stock set-up and was plugged for the aftermarket one (quite common). On mine I went 1 step further and plugged the vac feed right at the manifold reducing the chance of a possible vac leak. He just might have forgotten to remove it or left it in case he went back to stock.
On my Mazda 6 on the stock intake there is a flapper that is vac controlled with lines going to intake plenum: this line was not needed with my aftermarket intake so they instruct on plugging it. I went 1 step further and removed it, plugging it at source of vaccuum ---- the intake plenum (bought a rubber plug and plugged it at the plenum).

Last edited by UseYourNoggin; 12-23-2013 at 01:53 PM.
Old 12-23-2013, 02:59 PM

Thanks Noggin, I think you are onto something. Have to remember though that I am a rookie mechanic here so I have a hard time relating your pictures to my car.

I have more pics here of the PCV area, the "L" valve connector towards the bottom left side if the air filter, and a schematic someone sent me. Maybe you can let me know from the pics where this hose should go.

Attached Thumbnails 92 mx-3 kl-ze project-hdr_00013_0.jpg   92 mx-3 kl-ze project-hdr_00018_0.jpg   92 mx-3 kl-ze project-nugs-engine-001.jpg   92 mx-3 kl-ze project-nugs110513-007.jpg   92 mx-3 kl-ze project-vacuum-drawing.jpg  

Old 12-23-2013, 03:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BengalBrad
Thanks Noggin, I think you are onto something. Have to remember though that I am a rookie mechanic here so I have a hard time relating your pictures to my car.

I have more pics here of the PCV area, the "L" valve connector towards the bottom left side if the air filter, and a schematic someone sent me. Maybe you can let me know from the pics where this hose should go.
The hose may not need to go anywhere if you have an aftermarket intake!
That hose on your second pic looks weird, it's going no where (hope that one is plugged).
As far as where it goes, who knows.
Your engine looks similar to mine. My PCV and all vac lines attach to the rear bank of the plenum.
However, i do see 2 things that need to be plugged or have something hooked up to them on the front of your plenum (see attached thumbnail revised pic with arrows). Anything after the throttle body has to be contained --- either something hooked up to it or plugged.

Attached Thumbnails 92 mx-3 kl-ze project-nugs-engine-arrows.jpg   92 mx-3 kl-ze project-hdr_00018_0.jpg  
Old 04-02-2014, 04:24 PM

Sorry it's been a while but life has kept me busy. I've got the engine pulled and sure enough it's got a k8 in it. The plan is to get a klze but this is my first swap so I do have some questions and any help would be great. The big questions are will my wire harness and ecu work for the new engine or will I need to get a new ecu and wire harness?

Old 04-02-2014, 04:24 PM

Ill get photos up the second I find out how to

Old 04-03-2014, 06:47 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by jigsaw kl-ze
Ill get photos up the second I find out how to
Click on to add album on your Mazda homepage: https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/new...-photos-30911/

Click on to add photos on a post: https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/new...cs-post-30904/

Quick Reply: 92 mx-3 kl-ze project