Mazda MPV This minivan was among the class leaders with its roomy interior and efficient powertrain.

Will ford contour engine work in my mpv?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 08:02 AM

Engine is tore apart, I decided to do the head gaskets while I had it out. I was buying the head set anyway and it was only an extra $40 for head bolts. Everything looks ok, but only time will tell. I clean up the pistons and combustion chambers, I need to bring the oil pan and pick-up tube to work and clean it in the parts washer, and grab a can of degreaser while I'm there. I would like to get the old engine out asap so I can scrap it and get a few more bucks for a pan gasket.

I did get about an hour or two of tear down on the van, the drivers axle is out of the spindle but wont pop out of the tranny, the passenger side axle is out of the tranny but stuck in the spindle. The exhaust is all un-bolted but I need to get some more stuff out of the way before I can drop it all.

More to come...

Old 10-22-2012, 06:40 AM

Well, the engine is out and tore apart. It appears that the engine will work, I will just have to use everything from the mpv engine. The only thing I have to use is the oil pan since the one in the van got destroyed when it threw a couple rods out the back of the block. It looks the same though.

The big noticeable differences that I found were:
1.You must use mpv timing cover.
2.The knock sensor is threaded into the block in the mpv, the cougar engine I have has a threaded rod the sensor bolts on. Remove the threaded rod from the block and the mpv sensor threads right in.
3. The mpv has an oil cooler where the oil filter goes, the cougar does not. I have had some trouble trying to remove this cooler and transfer it to the cougar engine, but if worse comes to worse I can run the mpv without the cooler, just run the coolant lines together. That is nothing different than what I have done on my VW's in the past.

Well, another few days another few steps closer. Scrap yard run today to rid myself of all the bad parts in the garage. Note to all, these engines are all aluminum so hopefully it will pull some decent change at the scrap yard. Until next time...Is anybody even following this?

Old 10-22-2012, 07:15 AM

Here is a link to some torque specs, not sure how accurate they are but this is what I found...

Mazda 2.5L-152ci-V6 Torque Specifications - TorkSpec - Knowledge for the Motorhead

Old 10-31-2012, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by tanprotege
an MVP with a manual 5 speed (or 6 speed?) transmission. That would be something to show off.
1989 to 1995 you could get a Mazda MPV with the 2.6l i4 or the 3.0L V6 with a 5spd manual transmission as well as the auto. In both 2WD & 4WD.

Although they are very hard to find; I have only been looking for one at a reasonable price for almost 10 years now..

Old 11-01-2012, 03:15 PM

Well, the engine is in and running, so to answer the original question, yes, a contour engine will work, more specifically a 1999 cougar engine is what I used. You must use most of the mpv parts but some Ford parts work, like oil pan and valve covers but most everything else must use mpv. Hope this helps. Pics of the project up soon.

Old 05-07-2014, 02:01 PM
Default I'm confused

I am planning on doing this same thing because apparently the cam is shot in my 2k mazda mpv. It is knocking hard and being my only car I need to know.... you said 99 contour but you also mentioned a cougar. I have read your thread several times. What is the best place to get an engine? Junk yard? Do they guarantee it? E-mail me please Kaillion@live.com I know you are probably a busy man but I am in need of your supreme tutelage.