Mazda MPV This minivan was among the class leaders with its roomy interior and efficient powertrain.

Troubles with the Gear Shift Selector

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 08:42 PM
Default Troubles with the Gear Shift Selector

Have a 2000 Mpv. Was having troubles with what I thought was the gear shift selector. Followed the excellent write up from babyhuey and replaced the shifter control device (gear shift lever mechanisum). Still have the same problem. The van shifts from park to reverse to neutral and into drive, but will not shift into second or low gear on the selector. Took it apart again and tried to shift the van by justpulling or pushingthe cable back and forthand it does not feel like the trans is going into second or first.

Any help and or ideas would be appreciated, Thanks Jeff

Old 10-20-2007, 01:05 PM
Default RE: Troubles with the Gear Shift Selector

After changing the gear shift selector and finding that was not the problem, I found another thing to check on another forum site. I removed the battery and the battery tray to check tto see if the cable was bad. I removed the other end of the cable from the trans and check to make sure that the tranny was going into all gears. Thank god it wasn't the tranny. When I reassembled the cable to see it was still defective, low and behold it is now back to normal. The only issue that remains is that the "Jesus" clip that hold the cable on went flying some where and I cant find it. (Jesus clip= jesus christ where did that clip go)