Mazda MPV This minivan was among the class leaders with its roomy interior and efficient powertrain.

Stretched timing chain?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2023, 05:47 PM
Default Stretched timing chain?

Apologies this might be long!

I have a 2007 (non turbo) mpv, it’s recently been diagnosed with a stretched timing chain. Cant get fixed for 2 weeks.

So I’ll start with what led to me taking it to the mechanic, about a month ago I was driving home after a 2 hour drive.. the car was fine until we were about half an hour away and went up a hill (well hardly a hill more like a slope lol) it wouldn’t accelerate past 50km/h.. but once we got off was fine and for the next few days it also drove as normal. Then one morning I went to the gas station and put $20 in, turned the car on and it started shaking, and the engine was loud.. like the normal sound it would make just louder. I drove off and it wouldn’t accelerate properly at all I had to really put my foot down.. drove about 10 mins and half of the gas I had put in was gone! Went to the mechanic that day but they couldn’t do a full check at the time so just told me to take it home. I had to use it the next day (I know I shouldn’t have) and it was doing the same thing but also was jerking a little when going slow.
I haven’t driven it since and it’s been at the mechanic where they’ve told me it’s a stretched chain and have put me in contact with people who can get it fixed sooner.

ANYWAY, my question is.. does this sound like a normal stretched chain? I would have thought maybe bent valves or something too right? Thing is the car is still running? Not once has it even stalled or not turned on??

Asking here because being the weekend I can’t get a hold of my mechanic and I’m freaking out that I’ll have to spend more money (borrowing some of the money off grandparents and need to let them know how much it’ll be asap)

Will they be able to check for engine damage before they replace the chain so that they can do everything at the same time?

Again, sorry it’s so long.. TIA for any advice

Old 03-13-2023, 10:44 PM

This sounds more like a bad idle air control valve or maybe MAF replace them both, or one at a time and see if that does it. A stretched chain makes no sense as that'd be a misfire I think. It wouldn't be the chain necessarily but a timing chain or tensioner replacement. You'd want to replace the timing guides as well if in fact that's what it is, but doesn't seem like it is.