Mazda MPV This minivan was among the class leaders with its roomy interior and efficient powertrain.

Rear brakes problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 02:56 AM
Default Rear brakes problem

I currently own a 2004 MPV GX with the GFX package. That means that the rear brake system is an hybrid one, with full disk brake system for normal braking and drum brake for parking brakes.

3 weeks ago, I was informed that the drum brake section was totally rusted and unusable. Worst, the dealer tried to convince me that it was not cover by the Mazda’s Factory Warranty. I was surprised and pis... off!

How can a 50,000 Km car could have such a problem?

Yesterday, they changed the whole disk/drum set, but did not changed the pads. 10 minutes after leaving the dealer, noise started to come from the back of the van. And when I mean noise, I mean a big big squeek, just like an old rusted wheelbarrow!

So this morning, I went back to the dealer and I ask them to fix the problem. They said that the pads should be changed (they didnt say so yesterday!). So again, I had to deal the price. And again, 30 minutes after leaving the dealer, the same noise came back.

So here I am, with a whole new set of disk/drum/pad, plus a complete verification of the rear braking system, minus 200$.

Anyone heard or lived thru this kind of problem?

Thanks

A video including the annoying noise can be found on youtube.com at the following adresse :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIusgJoaWNU

Old 08-31-2006, 08:11 PM
Default RE: Rear brakes problem

What a neat idea to put the video and sound clip on youtubea QuerOzen. [sm=Flahssssss.gif]Do not think you could even come close to describing that noise. Would say the most logical thing to do would be to take it back and have then figure out what they did wrong but given your story I don't think I would be very inclined to take my van back to the retards either. Why in the world would you replace rotors without putting in a set of fresh pads!!!![sm=wtf.gif]
Sounds like maybe the rear shoes were installed incorrectly or have been set up too tight. Couple of things you can do to isolate the noise. Does the noise change when applying the brake pedal?? Or does the noise change if gradually pulling up on the parking brake lever?? Or are you unable to change the noise at all no matter what you do?? Make sure to hold in the release button when applying the parking brake lever so you don't lock em up.
The other thing you could do is to jack up one rear corner like you were changing a flat tire, spin the wheel and see which on is making that horrible noise.