Mazda MPV This minivan was among the class leaders with its roomy interior and efficient powertrain.

Brake and throttle question

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 04:09 PM
Default Brake and throttle question

Hello,

I am new to the forum, but have owned my MPV for over four years now and have been happy with it. It has 46,000 and the rear driver wheel started squeeling a little when braking, so I decided just to replace the brakes on all four corners. After driving it about 10 miles, I noticed the rear drivers wheel was too hot to touch. Is this normal? I did the work myself with no help from the non-existant Haynes or Chiltens manuals, but although the other wheels were hot, this one was considerably more so. Do I need to take the wheel off and check things out?

Also, my throttle cable seens to stick a little when accellerating from a stop. It is not hard to get over, but it does cause you to rev the engine a little more when starting out. Does anyone know if there is a place to grease the throttle cable or what might be causing the sticking.

Thanks!!!!

Old 09-07-2006, 10:28 PM
Default RE: Brake and throttle question

What year MPV do you have nublett??
Rear drum brakes do not normally get very hot. The front wheels will but rear wheels you should be easily able to hold hand on without trouble. Would be a good idea to get the rear of van up and make sure the rear wheels turn easily. Any drag means they were probably just set up a little tight.
Less likely to be a sticking throttle cable then a sticking throttle plate in the throttle body. Is a bit common on the 2000 and later MPV but not as bad as on the Tributes. A good through cleaning with throttle plate/induction cleaner available at parts stores should free it up. I use an old toothbrush to help break the carbon accumulation up. Anything stiffer could damage the soft aluminum throttle body bore.

Old 09-07-2006, 10:49 PM
Default RE: Brake and throttle question

Thanks for the info. It was only hot on the ride home, I have checked it several times since and it is not getting hot at all. I'm sorry, I should have said it is a 2002. I am glad to know about the sticking throttle plate! I will try to clean it this weekend!!! Thanks again for the help!!!