Mazda MPV This minivan was among the class leaders with its roomy interior and efficient powertrain.

CEL on 05 mpv w/ 3 error codes

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 06:12 PM
Default CEL on 05 mpv w/ 3 error codes

I have an 05 mpv with a little over 75k miles. A few weeks ago the CEL came on. The light will go off randomly for anywhere from a few minutes to a day at a time. Ironically my gas mileage on the first two tanks seemed to be better by a few mpg, but on the last one the mpg went down quite a bit. I had changed my air filter a few days before this started. I check to make sure I didn't loosen up any wires and nothing appears to be loose. Also, the van had been idling rough before i changed the filter, but that seemed to have fixed it along with a new battery which i needed around the same time. I stopped by autozone and they pulled 3 error codes
P2187
fuel system too lean at idle-right bank
P2189
fuel system too lean at idle left bank
P2197
upstream02 not switching LF - stuck on lean

any suggestions on what the problem could be with these three codes combined?

Old 09-11-2010, 08:46 PM
Default one problem fixed

well, i found the problem, the section of the pcv valve hose that connects to the intake manifold had a large hole in it. I've just replaced the hose with a much longer piece as the piece that had the hole was only about two inches long and was at a 90 deg. angle. I'm sure this cause the failure having such a sharp angle on so short a hose and the hole was on the inside of the bend. Hopefully the longer hose doesn't cause any problems and the CEL will go off soon so i can get it inspected. Right now though it's still on and it's now dieing when you rev the motor. It had been doing that before the CEL came on, but I thought it was due to the weak battery and/or needing a new air filter. Hopefully driving it will let the computer figure out the problem is fixed and resolve all of these issues.