Mazda MPV This minivan was among the class leaders with its roomy interior and efficient powertrain.

2006 MPV Key question

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 06:38 PM
Default 2006 MPV Key question

HI,
I just purchased a 2006 Mazda MPV van and only received one key. Can I buy another key without the remote attached or is that just the way they are all made?

Old 03-17-2007, 07:37 PM
Default RE: 2006 MPV Key question

I own a 2006 Mazda MPV, I carry my keys on a standard key ring in my pocket and I did not like having the large bulky key remote on my key ring.

I had my local lock smith cut a standard key (using MZ31 blank, see Thumbnail image below) and it works great, the key unlocks the doors and works in the ignition to start the vehicle, it was $4.00. According to the locksmiths reference the key is a dealer coded key only but I convinced the locksmith to cut me a key anyhow and see if it would work.

The first key the locksmith cut I had to really giggle the key in the lock while I turned the key for it to work but the locksmith cut me a second key very precisely (at no extra cost) and the second key cut very precisely works great, both opens the doors and starts the car. The locksmith told me that Mazda have notoriously been difficult keys to cut and have to be a very precisely cut match.

When you unlock the doors using the key in the drivers door when twisting the key if you hold it in the unlock position for about 2 seconds it will unlock all of the doors including the back hatch. Also locking the drivers door with the key will also lock all of the doors. I am very happy with it, works great and no more bulky key on my key ring.

You will notice that there is no key lock on the passenger side door. And the back hatch lock while it does lock and un-lock with the other power locks, if you use the key in the back hatch lock it will only lock or un-lock the back hatch.

I had thought if I could not start the car with the key cut from the MZ31 blank I would hide a key tucked deep somewhere inside the dashboard the big bulky key with the touted transponder so that the car sensed I was using a transponder-ed key. But no need the key cut from the MZ31 blank works great on its own to start the car.

[IMG]local://upfiles/9072/53D5E9EC5EAA4325B14D0D983BA8E16F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-20-2007, 06:40 PM

If you have the immobilizer system in the van then that type of key would not work as you would need to have one with a transponder chip embedded in the key. Key is available separate from the remote but they will cost you around $48 each plus you would need to have it programmed and recognized by the immobilizer system as a valid key for you to use it to start the van.

Old 07-07-2007, 05:20 PM

Wow, this post has received a lot of hits.

There must be a big interest in this key issue.

You Mazda MPV owners that have tried similar key solutions please post.

We have owned our 2006 MPV for about a year now and have totally loved it. Great gas milage, 26 MPG highway on our trip to Disneyland, and same for our trips to Las Vegas, Yellowstone, Sequoia National Park, and Bryce Canyon . Good power, slightly smaller engine than comparable wagons/minivans but the power is very adequate and gets much better miles per gallon than the comparable wagons/minivans. Perfect size, fits family of six, sufficient storage and just the right size to fit into small parking spaces and great u-turn radius.