Mazda MPV This minivan was among the class leaders with its roomy interior and efficient powertrain.

2003 Mazda MPV Fuel Pump issue?

  #1  
Old 06-12-2009, 10:21 AM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 4
Default 2003 Mazda MPV Fuel Pump issue?

My wife was driving to work the other day when our 03 Mazda MPV cut off and would not restart.

The car actually turns over, and you can hear it fire up. But either from the lack of fuel or oxygen, it turns right back off.

I was thinking that it was the fuel filter, but the visit to my local Autozone said that there fuel filter is no filter available for the MPV. Instead it was suggested that I replace the Fuel Pump.

So, before I throw down $200 on a hunch. I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered these symptoms with a similar MPV and what was the fix? Did they replace it themselves? If it is the fuel pump, then where is it located?

Thank in advance.
 
  #2  
Old 06-12-2009, 09:44 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 466
Default

There are a few things that can do that. When you first start up, the ECU initiates a purge cycle; this operates a solenoid valve which applies vacuum to the charcoal canister in the EVAP loop. This is to suck fuel out of the canister so the active charcoal doesn't get saturated. If the purge solenoid or valve "hangs up", the engine will start on the canister dregs and then "suck on an empty tit" so to speak, and quit. The other possibility is a defective fuel pressure regulator. Your best bet is get the OBD II codes read rather than blindly replace everything that might cause you grief.
 
  #3  
Old 06-19-2009, 09:02 AM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 4
Default

Originally Posted by oldeng View Post
There are a few things that can do that. When you first start up, the ECU initiates a purge cycle; this operates a solenoid valve which applies vacuum to the charcoal canister in the EVAP loop. This is to suck fuel out of the canister so the active charcoal doesn't get saturated. If the purge solenoid or valve "hangs up", the engine will start on the canister dregs and then "suck on an empty tit" so to speak, and quit. The other possibility is a defective fuel pressure regulator. Your best bet is get the OBD II codes read rather than blindly replace everything that might cause you grief.

It was delivered to the dealership last night. I'll update with what I find out...

Thanks much!
 
  #4  
Old 06-19-2009, 12:39 PM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 4
Default And the answer is...

Originally Posted by oldeng View Post
There are a few things that can do that. When you first start up, the ECU initiates a purge cycle; this operates a solenoid valve which applies vacuum to the charcoal canister in the EVAP loop. This is to suck fuel out of the canister so the active charcoal doesn't get saturated. If the purge solenoid or valve "hangs up", the engine will start on the canister dregs and then "suck on an empty tit" so to speak, and quit. The other possibility is a defective fuel pressure regulator. Your best bet is get the OBD II codes read rather than blindly replace everything that might cause you grief.
A clogged Mass air flow sensor was the culprit. Total cost, $100 bucks for diagnostics and to have it cleaned out. .
 
  #5  
Old 08-06-2009, 08:10 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location:
Posts: 281
Default

Originally Posted by juhsepi View Post
A clogged Mass air flow sensor was the culprit. Total cost, $100 bucks for diagnostics and to have it cleaned out. .
How could this happen? When was the last time you changed the air filter, was it sitted properly? I have a 2000 MPV from day one, it's almost 10 years, a few days ago, for the 1st time I pulled the MAF sensor out, but it was very clean. Car has 120K miles.
________
NATURE'S HOLISTIC CAREGIVERS 14000 CRENSHAW BLVD
 

Last edited by wineye; 09-15-2011 at 05:41 PM.
  #6  
Old 08-06-2009, 08:38 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 466
Default

MAF issues were commonplace when the paddle or flap type MAF was used.
Since the mid nineties, this MAF type was superseded by the hot wire type MAF which rarely fails.
What IS prone to fail though is the corrugated air duct between the air filter box/ MAF asembly and the throttle body. Depending on the nature of the split in the duct, the condition of the engine mounts, and how enthusiastically you drive, this split duct failure can do very funny (peculiar) things to your car's performance and to the panoply of associated OBD-II fault codes displayed.
Among the topmost codes thrown by a split engine air duct are codes which imply a defective MAF sensor (which is not true).
There are NO codes which correspond to a split air duct, or a split or detached vacuum hose between the MAF sensor and the throttle body.
 
  #7  
Old 08-07-2009, 12:41 PM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 4
Default My guess.

Originally Posted by wineye View Post
How could this happen? When was the last time you changed the air filter, was it sitted properly? I have a 2000 MPV from day one, it's almost 10 years, a few days ago, for the 1st time I pulled the MAF sensor out, but it was very clean. Car has 120K miles.

Two days prior to the breakdown, I had the oil changed. The service tech said to me then that it was time to swap out the filter. I told him I would take care of it myself (they wanted $35 for swapping the filter out, when the filter is $15) He said he'd clean the debris out to buy me time.

My guess is that he cleaned it out over the air filter housing thus allowing debris to get past the filter. Can I prove that? No. But it's the only thing that seems to make sense.

See what CSI will do to ya?
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Jon 1964
Mazda Tribute
11
04-21-2012 05:16 PM
goodcook
Mazda3
1
08-30-2011 07:49 AM
pwr shft
Mazda3
1
04-05-2011 11:01 PM
guzzel
Mazda Tribute
1
03-07-2009 10:09 AM
Variety=Spice
Mazda Millenia
1
10-11-2007 11:14 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2003 Mazda MPV Fuel Pump issue?


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.