Mazda MPV This minivan was among the class leaders with its roomy interior and efficient powertrain.

2001 MPV AC Issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 09:55 AM
Default 2001 MPV AC Issues

Hello all,
Hoping maybe someone can help a little bit with this.....as it is pretty hard to find any good diagrams on the web for this vehicle.

My neighbor is having issues with her A/C.
I took my guages over and looked at it, and there is pressure in the line, so there is something present (no leak).
But the compressor does not kick in.
Now I didn't get a chance to spend a lot of time with this van, but it appears the compressor sits at the bottom of the engine, behind the engine guards, is this correct?
I did check the fuse in the cabin for the A/C and he is fine.

So my first thought is that the compressor has died....
or
Could it be the A/C relay? And where is he located?
Also, is it possible to jump the compressor to force it to run? I did this on my 91 chevy truck in order to get it to suck in 134a....so wondering if it is possible on this van to see if this is the compressor or the relay that has died.

Thanks for any help on this.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:02 AM

You can jump it if you can find the connector (or at the relay terminal), just put 12V to it but dont run it for long if your pressures aren't good. What are your AC pressures right now? Relays should be either with the fuses or in a box under the hood.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:06 AM

The current pressure for the system was around 100 psi....obviously both low and high side since compressor will not come on.

And by "connector" you are referring to the power connector that sits on the compressor itself correct?

Do you know of any place to get diagrams for this van?

Thanks for the assistance.

Old 08-01-2012, 01:04 PM

You could try ALLDATAdiy.com Leading Source of Factory Automotive Repair Information I used to have several subscriptions there until I moved out of the US, they only support US models. They have MUCH more info than your average Chiltons or Haynes, downside is you dont have something in your hand for all time then, has to be renewed each year e.t.c.

Yes I meant the connector on the compressor but its usually easier to trace that wire further up till you get to another connection or the relay box rather than power directly. 100psi sounds just about perfect for a static reading. Also alldata has some really good troubleshooting trees to follow that are specific to each vehicle.

Old 08-01-2012, 01:20 PM

Great.
Thank you for the information.