Mazda MPV This minivan was among the class leaders with its roomy interior and efficient powertrain.

2000 MPV Trouble shifting from Park to Drive

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 07:24 PM
Default 2000 MPV Trouble shifting from Park to Drive

We can not shift from Park to Drive when the brake is pressed. We must resort to depressing the manual override through the access hole on the top of the steering column. Does anyone have an idea where I should start to troubleshoot this? I have no electrical diagrams so I do not know how the release mechanism is actuated normally. Thanks

Old 08-06-2007, 09:39 PM
Default RE: 2000 MPV Trouble shifting from Park to Drive

We also have a 2000 MPV with 85K milesthat just starting showing the same symptoms - sometime will not shift out of "PARK". Pressing the brake pedala few times seems to cause it to get unstuck, but I fear that won't be the answer for long. Any ideas anyone? Thanks.

Old 08-07-2007, 01:42 AM

Beer919, That is how our problem started out. I just got a 2000 MPV wiring diagram manual today. I did some tracing and I was initally hopeful that it had to do with the brake switch interconnect as well. However, when I did some tracing I think I have isolated the problem to the transaxle range switch. I did not notice it before but it appears that the shift indicator does not show that the transmission is in the park postion. (The square does not appear around the P as it does for every other position of the transmission.) This means that 12 volts is not being applied to the shift-lock relay to cause it to activate. When the shift-lock relay is activated it closes a swich then when the brake is pressed the shift-lock solenoid is activated. I then assume that we will be able to shift out of Park. I will need to complete my tracing. However, it is late and I am having trouble locating the transaxle range switch under the hood. I will reply to the forum if/when I resolve the issue. In the mean time we are using the "manual" over-ride.

Old 08-08-2007, 08:08 PM

Thanks for the responseand good luck with the troubleshooting. I easily discovered the manual override without a problem, but we don't have to use it very often yet. Seems to be getting more and more frequent though. Please let me know what you discover.

Old 07-16-2012, 12:14 PM

I have a 2000 Mazda MPV Van that is having difficult time shifting out of Park position. I have replaced the neutral safety and pedal switch and still having problem.I have also noticed that when I press the manual switch on the steering wheel, I can easily shift it out of park without a problem.