Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

Difficulty shifting out of park

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 03:03 AM
Default Difficulty shifting out of park

I've seen posts here regarding a problem shifting out of park, but mine seems to be slightly different. If I work at it long enough, my Mazda will eventually shift out of park. It's like something is blocking the shifter and once it moves out of the way, it will shift fine. It seems related to the temperature getting colder, but I may be hallucinating.

I've checked the 10 amp 'METER' fuse and it's not blown.

Not sure if this is related, but the other day when I got it to shift out of park, out of curiosity, I tried to see if it would allow me to shift out of park without the brake depressed and it did. I wasn't expecting that. Any ideas? Thanks!

Old 11-01-2006, 11:42 PM
Default RE: Difficulty shifting out of park

It sounds like there is a problem with the interlock solenoid. It is located under the shifter plastic housing.

Old 04-15-2007, 07:03 PM
Default RE: Difficulty shifting out of park

i just bought 95 for my wife, i was investigating why the od light flashes on and off, so i took the remooved the two screws on the shifter, and tooh the handel off, uner the handel is a white wedge shaped plastic piece that is adjustable to screw up and down. you can try to adjust it up, when it is depressed it activates the relay that brings it out of park. on mine, there is a small hole, covered with a cap, you can open this up and place a screw driver down the hole and press down, this over rides the shift lock.

when you apply the brake, do you hear a click comming from the console\?