Mazda Millenia This sedan, the flagship luxury sedan, offers both a naturally aspirated and supercharged model, so you can have your luxury, and, if you have a need for speed, big horsepower.

Weird idling Problem??

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 10:35 PM
Default Weird idling Problem??

I was having the a problem with my car today, I notice when my foot was on the break the car was ideling at around 1200rpm and it would slowly fall and slow go back up it wasn't stable, but it wasn't jumping around like crazy. I have the 2.3 engine in a 2000 so I'm not sure what the problem is. The Vaccum hoses sound like it is a good place to start, I also noticed my Radiator fluid was very low.
[/align]I did notice to that it would ouccur more when then engine had been running for a while or when it was hot!!. When I put it into park The RPMs would go up to like 2000-2500 then I'd put it back into drive and it would sometimes go to normal and sometimes go above 1200 and fluchtuate in that area. I can check what you guys have already posted but has anyone else come across this problem and fixed it??[/align]

Old 05-05-2007, 12:28 PM
Default RE: Weird idling Problem??

just wanted to up date what else I've noticed. It idles really high when I shift to park it was at 2000 RPM and I couldn't figure it out and it is only when the cars been running for a while so I'm assuming it's temperature related deffinatly. I'm going to completely change my Radiator fliud and I'm thinking I should do it soon. Hey do you guys just use distilled water? or should I mix it with anti freeze. Like can I just put in distilled water untill I change the rad fluid as a quick fix?

I noticed when I was driving around town today that if I steped on the break and stopped but I just put enough pressure on the break to stop the car the RPM was high it was at about 1200RPM to 800 RPM somtimes around 1500RPM. Now today I noticed that if I pushed the break down as hard as I could (as far as it would go) the RPM would start to drop and go back to normal. I thought that was weird but most of the time it worked but I still think it's directly related to the temperature.

My temperature gague reading from the dash sensor is just below half maybe like 45-48% and as I said my coolant level in the radiator resivior is below the low level and that when the engine is hot and has been running a while not when it is cold.

Anybody know anything about this??

Old 05-05-2007, 03:20 PM

The position of the Temp gauge is normal and I personally think your idling issuses are not related to your coolant level. Are there any Check engine codes along with anything else abnormal? The vacuum hoses would be a good place to start. Also remember that the cold idle is controlled by the computer and theIdle Air Control Valve which is attatched to the BY-Pass Air Control Valve located to the rear of the front valve cover under the black plastic cover that directs air to the rear intercooler. Make sure you have a good connection to all of the sensors, but normally if you dont this will set a CEL Light! Another good place to check would be the vacumm line to the brake booster, but if it was leaking I would think that your brake pedal would be very stiff and the car would be hard to get stopped. Good Luck!

Old 05-05-2007, 05:16 PM

How can I check the vacummsensors to know if they are working properly?? and the brakes are working great it's just the engine thatis working against the breaks. it's almost like a cruz control when I touch the gas the car takes off pretty quick and I can coast forever but when I apply the breaks the engine almost doesn't recognize that I am pushing the breaks untill I get the car to a stop (which sometimes the engine will jump a bit) then once I'm stopped I really push down on the breaks andthe RPMs quite down a bit. I will check the break booster vaccum because it sound like it could be that or maybe it's a combination of a few things. I will try to get error codes and post them. Thanks for your help on a starting point. Are there any Vaccum diagrams that have already been posted?? that would help a tone. I also read on another forum that you can adjust the sitting idel but I really don't think that's the problem because sometimes it's normal and sometimes it's not but most of the time it's not normal.

Old 05-07-2007, 12:03 AM

I own a 98 Millenia. I bought it 3mo. ago from a female friend who doesn't know anything about cars. As you know you have to take good care of this car or it will go to ****, literally. I had that weird idling problem as well. A couple of weeks ago I also had trouble starting my car.Then, oneSaturdayas I wascoming to astop the engine turned off. I didn't know that the timing belt in these cars have to be changed at around 60-70k miles. I was lucky thatI wasn't in the highway orI would've needed anew engine. I would have it checked out by a mechanic ifit's anything anyone here can explain. Find out what are the preventive maintenance that you have to do, owner's manual. I'm justgoing todrive my care when I get it back from the shop and enjoy the ridebecause these cars are sweet to ride!

Good luck bro.

Old 05-07-2007, 01:25 AM

the motor in these cars are non interference. even if you were on the highway, if the timing belt broke, it will not damage the engine internals. yours is the first i have ever heard of breaking, if in fact it did break. the factory recommended change interval for the timing belt is 105k. i suspect some other contributing factor caused the belt to fail early.

Old 05-07-2007, 06:18 PM

You might as well kick me off this forum because I feel like such an idoit. I e-mailed the presonI bought this car from and his solution to the problem was simple this was it quote un-quote. "My only suggestion is a simple one. Check the floor mat on driver side to see if it is obstructing pedal.". Guess what my problem was [&:] the mat was foleded up and it was pushing the gas I guess. I couldn't even tell the mat was pushinng the pedal but yesterday after I got his suggestion I tried moving the mat and sure enough my problem was gone!!

Car now drives beautifully. Sorry guys to keep you guessing but hey maybe if anybody has this problem next time it might be an easy fix like mine and all you have to do is move the floor mat.

Thanks for your help anyways guys I appreciate it and at least I learnt a few things I didn't know before.

Cheers

Old 05-07-2007, 06:23 PM

this is a common problem with all cars. most have some way of securing the factory floor mat. mazda does this with an eyelet in the corner, at the left front seat rail, there is a steel peg. the eyelet on the floor mat hooks on to this peg, and the mat will not move.