Mazda Millenia This sedan, the flagship luxury sedan, offers both a naturally aspirated and supercharged model, so you can have your luxury, and, if you have a need for speed, big horsepower.

Torque spec on front intercooler 96 Millenia S - CEL P0302

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 04:27 PM
Default RE: Torque spec on front intercooler 96 Millenia S - CEL P0302

If it is the oil pressure sender then you should be able to replace by yourself. OE part would need a 24mm wrench or deep socket but could also just use an adjustable wrench as it is not tight. Pic at bottom of page will give you a better idea of location. The link to the part looks to be the right one. OE part is B367-18-501. Retails for $20.90. Also at www.onlinemazdaparts.com for $17.77.
May be leaking more at higher rpm and warm due to increase of oil pressure and thinning of oil. Take a look at it and see if that is the source.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/98AA01AD462444C3A9BA8BA17C405649.gif[/IMG]

Old 12-21-2005, 04:53 PM

Awesome awesome info! I will see if I can pop it on the pit Saturday but doubt I will be able to. Looking at the diagram now I can see that it would be replaceable at least by a friend of mine if not me. Should I wrap the threads with teflon tape piror to replacing the Oil Pressure switch, assuming that is where the leak is?

Would you recommend me getting the part from the local mazda dealer or would an Auto Zone or Advanced Auto Parts type place be ok?

I know I truly appreciate all your hard work and posting on the board babyhuey, I just hope everyone else does as well!

Old 12-21-2005, 11:02 PM

Thanks Hadrien, I appreciate that.

Given that the price is almost identical, I would use the Mazda part but an aftermarket would work just fine I am sure. Lots of times the switch will come with a sealer on the threads already but if the threads are just bare metal then a few wraps with teflon thread tape is highly recommended. The factory one does not have the sealer as I looked this morning. We actually had one in stock!!!
Sure hope that is the source of your leakage. It is the cheapest and easiest oil leak to fix.

Old 12-22-2005, 10:37 AM

I too hope that is the source. My only concern is that the first time I got under the car to look for the leak and do an oil change, there was almost no oil on or around the filter. It looks like this part sits right above the filter. If it was dripping I would think it would run down the filter as well as other parts. I guess maybe if it was spurting I could see it hitting the bottom of the AC Compressor. We will all find out soon enough! :P Gonna try to get under the car before the holiday.

Old 12-29-2005, 01:37 PM

Got the CEL flashing again today. Car has been running really rough on startup the last 2 days with it being so wet. Took the car to AutoZone and it came up with a P0306, misfire on cylinder 6. So it looks like the misfire followed the coil pack. Its good and bad. Good because now I know why it runs rough. Bad because I am worried that if cylinder 2 is leaking oil, it will continue to foul coil packs. But at least now I know, without babyhuey's advice I wouldnt have had the confidence to swap coil packs myself. Thanks babyhuey!

On a side note I ordered a used coil pack fom a guy on the web to save a few bucks and see how it goes. $50 is alot less than $160. *crosses fingers on it working*

Getting under the car sometime Saturday to search for the oil leak. The guy I got the coil pack from mentioned I should take the timing belt plastic cover off and look for leaks coming from some copper plugs there as well, which I will try to do.

Old 01-07-2006, 10:05 PM

Got under the car today and unfortunately the source of the oil is not the oil pressure switch. Its somewhere on the side or the back of the engine. I took off the splash shield and looked and looked and looked, but could NOT find the source of the leak. Im just going to have to offload the car onto a used car lot or something.

The car leaked something fierce onto my friends pit, but I couldn't find the source of the leak. If I had to guess again where it was coming from I would be inclined to say somewhere near the rear bank timing belt cover area. There are somewhat look to be vaccuum hoses with silver shielding on them, its almost like fine ridged metalic split loom. Its covered in oil and everything below that as well is covered in oil.

Also, under the oil cap and around the PCV valve there was thick almost greasy "oil", I noticed JUST a hint of it at the end of the dip stick as well. My friend who's garage I was working in said not to worry about it that it was condensation or something, but I have NEVER seen anything like that in the 18 months I have owned the car. I was very nervous about coolant causing the oil to foam up, took a sample from the coolant tank and found no signs of oil in the coolant. So I have NO idea what that is.

On a side note the coilpack works great and hopefully will solve the misfire problem for me for the few more weeks of owning the car.

Old 01-09-2006, 11:14 PM

Sorry to hear you wanting to get rid of the car Hadrien. Only thing I can think of in the area you are describing would be a valve cover gasket which should not leak that badly or a front cam seal or plug on the right bank. That would put the leak to the rear area up high and if the intake cam plug was popping out a bit then would leak badly. Only problem is that a leak from the cam seal or plug usually stays fairly contained in timing covers untill it get to the bottom and runs out. Wish I could take a look at it for you.

Old 01-10-2006, 01:14 AM

I wish I could keep the car, but my gut is screaming at me that something is wrong. I am just frustrated since I was inable to find the leak. Should be something simple and straightforward. However, even if I had found the leak, it is now sounding like I would be unable to fix it myself and I cant see sinking another $1000+ into the car which might have ANOTHER major poblem in 6 months. I owe twice what the car is worth right now.

My biggest concern on top of the leak is the foamy or mousse like oil under the cap and PCV valve that I keep finding. And I noticed the last few times I checked the oil that afterwards my finger smelled slightly of gasoline.

Old 01-17-2006, 06:28 PM

Well sorry to say this will be my last week with the Millenia S. Its been a fun trip, but too many problems have caused me to trader her in. I have been wanting a manual transmission car for about 6 months anyway. If ONLY they would have made the Millenia with a 5SP I would think about fixing the numerous problems with her, or even just replacing the engine. No other car I have driven in that price range has the feeling and just overall solid composure that the Millenia has. Acura, BMWs, Audi, VW's comparable sedans are all indeed quite nice, but no where NEAR the price range that the Millenia is in.

Just wanted to say thank you again to babyhuey and keninn for all of your help. Babyhuey, you saved me hundreds of dollars in diagnostic fees I normally would have paid. Thank you thank you thank you.