Mazda Millenia This sedan, the flagship luxury sedan, offers both a naturally aspirated and supercharged model, so you can have your luxury, and, if you have a need for speed, big horsepower.

replace power steering pump

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 04:34 PM
Default replace power steering pump

I have a 2000 millenia 2.5 no super charger it has a tick in the engine which I hear is a mechanical tick and I think its coming from the power steering pump cause when the motor is running the power steering pully has a wobble so I'm considering changing the entire pump. Are there any how to on this site any advice ? And the car has 205,000 miles and still runs strong the tick is louder when the engine is cold vs when it warms up

Old 11-30-2011, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by kryptononly2
I have a 2000 millenia 2.5 no super charger it has a tick in the engine which I hear is a mechanical tick and I think its coming from the power steering pump cause when the motor is running the power steering pully has a wobble so I'm considering changing the entire pump. Are there any how to on this site any advice ? And the car has 205,000 miles and still runs strong the tick is louder when the engine is cold vs when it warms up
i have done this twice, but on a 2.3. one of the most suck jobs i have ever done on this car. to get at one bolt, i have to remove the right side axle. this is all on a 2.3, so i dont know what is different on a 2.5. to get the pump off, you will have to pull off the plastic timing belt cover, and that means pulling off a whole bunch of stuff. the pump is the same for both engines. one caveat, BEFORE you pull the serpentine belt, loosen the nut on the p/s pump pulley, AND the water pump pulley, or you will regret it. even then, the nut on the p/s pump pulley may be on there, and the belt resistance will not be enough. in this case, there are 4 holes on the outer rim of the pulley. get a couple of 6mm long bolts, and put a bolt in 2 holes, use a long pry bar to hold the pulley, and then break the nut loose. when i pull an axle, i also pull off the knuckle and tie up the brake caliper. this will give you a lot more room. it takes a bit longer, but it makes it a helluva lot easier. this is one job you might want to consider paying someone to do. also, while you are in there, you need to check all the dust boots and ball joints on all your suspension pieces; tie rod ends, rack boots, upper and leading links, etc. and if you have a torn rack boot, i would definitely pay to have that done. get a couple cans of brake cleaner to clean all around, too

Old 12-23-2011, 11:47 AM
Default replaced

just replaced my powersteering pump sure was a pain. good luck