Mazda Millenia This sedan, the flagship luxury sedan, offers both a naturally aspirated and supercharged model, so you can have your luxury, and, if you have a need for speed, big horsepower.

Power steering pump problem on a 1997 Millenia

Old 04-04-2013, 01:03 PM
Default Power steering pump problem on a 1997 Millenia

I full the reservoir up just about every time I use it. Once I fill it up it works fine, but the next day its all gone. I don't really see a leak anywhere, but I could be wrong. I checked the hoses they seem to be fine. My question is if I should replace the pump and if I would had to take the engine out to do so. Also does anyone know the size of the serpentine belt too.

Thanks, JB

Old 04-04-2013, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by jrberry13
I full the reservoir up just about every time I use it. Once I fill it up it works fine, but the next day its all gone. I don't really see a leak anywhere, but I could be wrong. I checked the hoses they seem to be fine. My question is if I should replace the pump and if I would had to take the engine out to do so. Also does anyone know the size of the serpentine belt too.

Thanks, JB
It's got to be going somewhere

Old 04-05-2013, 08:52 AM

dunno about the 2.5, but i have changed the pump on a 2.3 a couple times. it is one of the worst jobs i have ever done. the right side axle has to be pulled to access one of the mounting bolts. i think the plastic timing belt cover has to come off too, i dont remember. the pump for the 2.5 is the exact same as the 2.3.

however, losing fluid is more likely the seals on the rack. if the rack boots are in good shape, i bet they are full of fluid. and i have never pulled a rack, but it looks like that is a way worse job than a pump. and any fluid loss has got to leave trails. you need to look again

Old 07-09-2013, 01:23 AM

I noticed the other day, when I put power steering fluid into the reservoir and had my dad start the car, the fluid vanished as soon as the car started. Could these be a vacuum valve problem, which is an easy fix right? Can't i just plug the vacuum lines and switch ports. The power steering pump/rack does not make a noise when turning the wheel.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:58 AM

I noticed the other day, when I put power steering fluid into the reservoir and had my dad start the car, the fluid vanished as soon as the car started. Could these be a vacuum valve problem, which is an easy fix right? Can't i just plug the vacuum lines and switch ports. The power steering pump/rack does not make a noise when turning the wheel.
vacuum valve? there aint no vacuum valve in the p/s system. are you sure you are not filling the brake fluid reservoir? the p/s reservoir is big and round, on the 2.3 it is on the passenger side of the engine bay. brake fluid res is rectangular, on the left side. both the 2.3 and 2.5 have the same brake and power steering system

Old 07-09-2013, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by ken inn
vacuum valve? there aint no vacuum valve in the p/s system. are you sure you are not filling the brake fluid reservoir? the p/s reservoir is big and round, on the 2.3 it is on the passenger side of the engine bay. brake fluid res is rectangular, on the left side. both the 2.3 and 2.5 have the same brake and power steering system
Yea I'm sure it's the ps reservoir. I read this article and thought that might be the problem.

Power steering fluid low, disappearing, but with no leaks . . . - Club Lexus Forums

Old 07-10-2013, 11:45 AM

Yea I'm sure it's the ps reservoir. I read this article and thought that might be the problem.

Power steering fluid low, disappearing, but with no leaks . . . - Club Lexus Forums
is this a trick question? wtf does a lexus have to do with a millenia? cause THERE AINT NO VACUUM VALVE ON A MILLENIA P/S PUMP. there IS a switch on the pump, that sends a signal to the ecu to increase idle when in full lock turn, or close to it.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:59 PM

Thanks, JB
Some cars having a fluid leaking, mostly won't show the leak during the day, but it will show it overnight or at the time you go to work early in the morning
If you have to change the power steering pump, is a hard work to do
and if for whatever reason you might have to work on the power steering plumbing, it will be even harder
Also, you may have a little fluid leaks when driving