Mazda Millenia This sedan, the flagship luxury sedan, offers both a naturally aspirated and supercharged model, so you can have your luxury, and, if you have a need for speed, big horsepower.

Please Help, How do I fix this problem?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 07:14 PM
Default Please Help, How do I fix this problem?

Can anyone tell me how to fix this possibly costly unexpected error while changing an Intake Manifold Gasket. While removing the Intake Manifold from the car, one of the Lugs (Attached to Block) sheared off and has left me with one lug that is not threaded. I would suspect that the age of the car and influx in heat caused the bolt to become hard and one with the lug. I have never had anything like this happen to me and repairing this manifold gasket has been the biggest pain to say the least.I was told to use an "Easy Out" but I don't think that would be recommended. I would drill it if I can be sure it can be re-threaded internally. I have attached pictures to indicate the problem and showing the sheared off lug apart from the other lugs that are still intact. Please respond, any ideas help.

Car: 2001 Mazda Millenia 2.5 KL Engine
Job: Intake Manifold Gasket/ Valve Cover Gaskets
Miles:215k, Recent New Timing Belt, Water Pump, Pulleys and Tensioners.

Chris

Attached Thumbnails Please Help, How do I fix this problem?-imag0206edit.jpg   Please Help, How do I fix this problem?-imag0207edit1.jpg   Please Help, How do I fix this problem?-imag0209edit.jpg   Please Help, How do I fix this problem?-imag0211edit.jpg  
Old 02-22-2014, 08:35 PM

i have never done this. That means I don't know the best way. But here are some youtube videos on how to deal with it:remove broken stud from aluminum head - YouTube

Old 02-22-2014, 09:21 PM

tough call. i would first try a really good penetrant. i like kroil:

Google Deal

some will tell you pb blaster, which is a lot easier to find, but kroil is much better. then there is this:

FIFTH AVENUE

notice how far up the list kroil is. anyway, you will have to keep soaking it for several days, grab what is left of the stud with a really good pair of vice grips, and the best vice grips are the ones made in the usa. keep trying to turn the stud, keep applying penetrant. even a couple of good whacks with a hammer may break it loose. the next step would be heat, but you would have to get it really hot, like glowing, then vice grip it. to get it that hot, you are going to need something like mapp gas, which i dont think you can get anymore, or acetylene. propane or butane i dont think will heat it enough.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:28 AM

Thank you Keninn, I am going to give it a try. Would you know the best place to get replacement lugs once it is removed?

Old 02-23-2014, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by 2001MilleniaSouthFL
Thank you Keninn, I am going to give it a try. Would you know the best place to get replacement lugs once it is removed?
any auto parts store should have them. autozone, oreilly's, napa. most any dealer will have them, even other car marques. it is a common stud. but what you have to know is the length. it should be 8mm x 1.25 pitch, but the length i dont know. if you go to the other mazda forum, mazdaworld.org, go to the millenia section, and look for yel-low. he is the resident 2.5 expert, and he is actually putting an engine together. he is also an engineer, so he might have other ideas on removing the stud. i would kroil the crap out of it for several days, then give it a couple good whacks with a hammer, and then try to vice grip it out. if it still dont move, keep trying the kroil/hammer. then try heat