Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

Clutch problem. Hoping for an easy fix..

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 07:49 AM
Default Clutch problem. Hoping for an easy fix..

Hello everybody!

I'm new here and with my new purchase I feel I'll be coming back often. Hoping not for mechanical issues though.

I recently purchased a 5 Speed 1999 Mazda Protege LX Sedan with a clutch problem. The clutch has no pressure and won't spring back when pressed.

The vehicle was working fine then after it was parked it started to have this problem. The (release cylinder?) was replaced just before I purchased the car in hopes that that was the problem and it fixed it for a drive around the block then it stopped working again.

I've never worked on a vehicle with a hydralic clutch so maybe someone can shoot me in the right direction.

I do belive it's something simple such as the master or slave cylinder or the system needs to be bled again. Hence it working then not.

I don't believe it's a severe mechanical issue such as needing a new clutch, throw out bearing or pressure plate.

Recently I brought it to a shop and they told me it'd be $700+ to get fixed and part of that was a new clutch. Knowing the clutch worked perfectly fine before the loss in clutch pressure I called BS on that and I'm looking into fixing it myself.

Any help is much appreicated! Thanks & ZOOM ZOOM.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:56 PM

Sir,

Check this thread out that I responded to awhile back:

https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/maz...-clutch-25748/

Hopefully this will help you.

Jim