Mazda Millenia This sedan, the flagship luxury sedan, offers both a naturally aspirated and supercharged model, so you can have your luxury, and, if you have a need for speed, big horsepower.

Help Needed!

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 09:41 PM
Default Help Needed!

1995 Millenia 2.5 (Non-Supercharged)

This is my daughters car and I am tring to diagnose & repair myself.
After driving for 20 - 30 minutes the car will stumble and sometimes die (from a stop or at low speeds). Once the stumbling starts you can feather the throttle & make it go, but it is bad sluggish. After sitting for 3-4 hours it runs fine again until it get to operating temp.
This happen the first time when she was at college and I had it towed home. Once it was home, it cranked and ran fine (for 20-30 minutes). I took it to a local mechanic and had the fuel pump pressure tested and it was within specs (approx. 38-42 psi)(I had replaced the fuel filter earlier which didn't seem to be restricted). We pulled the codes and had a P0725 indicating the crank sensor (or wiring). I replaced the sensor (with an new one)and checked all the wires I could get to or see and the problem persist.
After reading post on this Fourm I have:
-Checked EGR - No carbon build-up
-Removed Throttle Body to check ports to EGR - Again no carbon
-Removed Bellow to Air Filter to check for cracks - Great shape
-Checked air gap on Crank Sensor - Within specs
-Checked resistance on Crank Sensor - Within specs
-Removed Dist. Cap - Inspected & Cleaned - Appears to be fine
-Checked all vaccum lines & hoses - Good Shape - no leaks
-Tested Boost Sensor Sol.to theEGR valve - Working properly
-Removed & Inspected Air intake tube from fender to air filter - No restictions
-Grounded #10(I think!) on DCL & got a code 116
The only light to come on is the CEL when we pulled the P0725. That is the only hard code it has had.
I went to AutoZone & used there tester yesterday and recieved a soft code of P1345 indicating a camshaft sensor. I am not sure this car has a camshaft sensor.I can't find one listed in any parts list.
I was hoping Hueybaby or someone with some sound knowledge of this engine might be able to help.
I have automotive/computer background from the mid-eightys. I'm not a complete dummy with these systems but they do make you think!
Thanks for any help in advance.

Old 12-31-2006, 09:53 PM
Default RE: Help Needed!

Ahhh.....Babyhuey..not Hueybaby...my bad.

Old 12-31-2006, 11:51 PM

just a wag, but try syphon/drain a couple of cups of fuel into a glass jar. let it sit. see if there is water in the fuel. you might be getting a vapor lock. if you get gas from mom and pop places, sometimes they have a lot of water in the fuel. the engine bay is really hot in the millenia. i always get fuel from a name brand station, and one that is always busy. also, here in texas, oxygenated fuel is now ethanol. if too much ethanol is used, it can break down and you will have a lot of water in the tank.

Old 01-01-2007, 12:21 AM

I checked the fuel when we did the fuel pump pressure test, it was fine. I also added Lucas Fuel treatment to it two different times just incase there were some water issues.
I also failed to mention earlier, the tachometer & speedometer work fine. So there seems to be no issue with a lost signal to the PCM.

Old 01-01-2007, 05:57 PM

P0725 will be set by TCM if RPM signal is below 470rpm for at least two seconds with vehicle speed greater than 25 mph, meaning if the car stalls above 25 mph it will set this code![/u]

Old 01-01-2007, 06:33 PM

Thanks 2000smazda. With the codes I have pulled, I can see where the belt could stretch under load/hot conditions. This may cause thedrivabilty issue andthese codes to set. Also I see where your problem was solved by replacing your belt. I have no idea how old the belt is, however the valve covers and front timing cover have been off recently (6-10 mo). She has only had the car for maybe 4-5 months.

Old 01-07-2007, 08:08 PM

I would sill like some input from others that may have experenced this problem or one similar and what was done to correct it.
Thanks

Old 01-20-2007, 04:10 PM

New distributor is ordered.... Had to start somewhere!
I willpost results.

Old 01-26-2007, 09:14 AM

New distributor has been installed. Test drove about 30 min. with no poblems.......So far So good.