Mazda Millenia This sedan, the flagship luxury sedan, offers both a naturally aspirated and supercharged model, so you can have your luxury, and, if you have a need for speed, big horsepower.

fuel pickup issue when turning 99 milly S

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 01:37 AM
Default fuel pickup issue when turning 99 milly S

this is not a major issue but quite annoying. my problem is this, when hustled through a turn (left or right) with half a tank or less the car tries to stall. its like the fuel pickup is too short and the gas sloshes away from it. i would expect this if the tank were almost empty, but half a tank? is this normal? someone please help me i almost got run over tonight because of this.

Old 02-20-2010, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by mazdamissile
this is not a major issue but quite annoying. my problem is this, when hustled through a turn (left or right) with half a tank or less the car tries to stall. its like the fuel pickup is too short and the gas sloshes away from it. i would expect this if the tank were almost empty, but half a tank? is this normal? someone please help me i almost got run over tonight because of this.
it's not normal. but, i would look at bad gas first. if you dont fuel up at a top tier gas station, you should start. if you have some bad gas, and it is in the bottom of the tank, not much you can do except pull the tank and clean it. but, it could also be a loose electrical connection, dunno where, tho.

Old 02-21-2010, 02:42 AM

this is an ongoing problem. its not bad gas, i have changed gas stations, and its not electrical. its not like the fuel pump is shutting off temporarily, it stutters when it starts to pick up the gas. it only happens when theres half a tank or less. its pretty obvious its a fuel pickup issue. could the the pickup be too short or have a hole in the pickup hose somewhere?

Old 02-21-2010, 09:24 AM

i am looking at a brand new fuel pump assembly i bought off ebay a while ago. it is a standard type setup, with a strainer at one end, and a short rubber connection at the other, going to the metal feed line, which then exits the assembly. i see nothing that can do what you describe. and, strange that it does it when the tank is only part full. in the bottom of the tank, there is a separate well that the pump sits in, and even tho fuel sloshes around, this well kinda keeps the fuel that the pump draws from steady. all fuel tanks have this. if you could get a fuel pressure gauge, and install it before the fuel filter, then try to duplicate the problem, you might see if the pump is faulty.