Mazda Millenia This sedan, the flagship luxury sedan, offers both a naturally aspirated and supercharged model, so you can have your luxury, and, if you have a need for speed, big horsepower.

Milly or Milly S

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 10:08 PM
Default Milly or Milly S

Got a chance to purchase either a regular milly or a milly s. Both are 2001, both are 50K cars and the price difference is less than 100 dollars. Milly s is pretty strong, regular milly not too shabby either. Milly S needs hi-test, regular milly needs regular. Other than the power issue is there a strong bias towards or away from either model? I keep my cars for MANY MANY years and generally run them to 250K before selling or giving them away. Input appreciated.

Old 10-12-2005, 11:25 PM
Default RE: Milly or Milly S

Both are great cars. The Millenia S does take the more spendy fuel but the power difference is considerable with the Compressor pressurizing the air intake. The maintenance costs are quite a bit more for the S at the 60k maintenance as they have adjustable valves and plugs etc are harder to get to. If you do not do your own work on your cars then contact a dealer or your trusted shop and get a quote for a full 60k service with timing belt on both. Remember that the S also has adjustable valves due at 60k that use a varying thickness shim to change. The shims may not be available from aftermarket but are only $10-15 each at the dealer. Both engines have been reliable although the Lysholm compressor used in the S has had some oil consumption problems. The compressor is not serviceable and a replacement is around $3200 from dealership for the part only. Personnally I would sacrifice the extra power from the S and go with the 2.5 engine.

Old 10-13-2005, 12:53 AM

Babyhuey, thankyou. My thoughts exactly. Yeah, I do my own work when I can but the adjustable valves/shim crap is enough to scare me off. I've got an old Jag that uses shims/holders and boy, it sure beat me up. I own an old 929, an 89, and still think this is one of the better V6 motors ever built (SOHC, timing belt in about 3 hours) . I'll probably pass on both and go either toyota or domestic for my next comfortmobile. I own and drive regularly 6 cars, none with collision, comp or payments. I live in New England so I only have one summer shot to bring back one car a year. Looks like this year is going to be the bring back of my old 929 instead of a Milly. This year is year 25 driving Mazda as the main ride. I am happy you mentioned the Milly S service requiements. If I can't service a car myself, it's not an option. The shim business scares me. I have heard though that the super charger is sort of reliable with religious oil changes. Hard to say where my next car shopping trip will go. Believe it or not, I am starting to like the BIG BUICK wagons, nice 93 Road Master might do :-)

Old 10-13-2005, 01:13 AM

The shims are a bit of a pain unless you have a good selection to work with when doing the job. The 2.5 engine uses hydraulic lifters so no adjust is required with it and has been a very good engine to date. I think you will find the 2.3 a big job to tackle on your own but the 2.5 is very straightforward and easy to do with some time and patience. Being fairly brand loyal to Mazda I would much rather you gave further consideration to the Millenia with the 2.5 engine over a Buick but that is of course your decision. Best of luck to your choice.