Mazda Millenia This sedan, the flagship luxury sedan, offers both a naturally aspirated and supercharged model, so you can have your luxury, and, if you have a need for speed, big horsepower.

Flashing HOLD, crank, No start. 2.3L

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2018, 06:52 PM
Default Flashing HOLD, crank, No start. 2.3L

I've Googled, I've back-searched. I can't find a reference where a Millenia S has a no start condition with a flashing HOLD light. My code reader (that I've used for every other code on this car for the past 8 years) tries to read but after 15 seconds spits out "ERROR" like there's something horribly wrong. Code reader works in my other cars just fine.

Backstory: was driving home and charge MIL came on indicating my 217,000 mile alternator bit the dust. Made it home and shut the car off, jumped on the 'Zon & ordered a replacement. 2 days later it started right up and I pulled it into the garage for the replacement, no problems. Pulled alternator and destroyed the 3pin plug in the process (Plastic/old/brittle) ... ordered replacement. 2 days later installed new drop in alternator, wired in new pigtail for plug, and replaced all the O2 sensors because they've all been dead for like 3 years and just been too lazy to replace them.

Went to start it and it just cranks over very strong, but has no fire, and the HOLD light (transmission override) flashes constantly (THIS IS A NEW BEHAVIOR) , and any attempt to pull codes results in an "ERROR" display (ALSO A NEW BEHAVIOR).
  • I have verified fuel to the cylinders, they are wet and I even popped the rear seat and hot-wired the pump to be on non-stop during cranking. >>> No change<<<
  • In the event I fried the ECU (you never know) I pulled the KJ20 ECU and dropped in an extra KJ17 I had on a shelf for rainy days. >>> No change<<<
  • I tested CKPS (crank sensor) it is at .860 unplugged, and .780 plugged in. I also have a Ford Probe GT (kinda like a cousin to the Millenia) I know the resistance on its CKPS is supposed to be between .520-.580. I cannot find any reference for the OE specs for the MIlly S 2 wire CKPS.
  • The car is fresh off a tune-up last month where I replace all the spark plugs, all the vacuum lines, and replaced all the plastic tees with brass. It was running beautifully.

Any ideas? The hold light thing to me is the secret, also the inability to pull codes has me flustered. She's been a trooper for 150,000 miles.