Mazda Millenia This sedan, the flagship luxury sedan, offers both a naturally aspirated and supercharged model, so you can have your luxury, and, if you have a need for speed, big horsepower.

Engine light @ flashing "hold";new owner!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2005, 04:10 AM
Default Engine light @ flashing "hold";new owner!!!

So I just got plates for my 97 millenia with 98,000 miles and today on startup the check engine light comes on and a flashing "hold" light comes on.....I have only been driving this car for two weeks. Question: am I screwed? it is worthwhile to figure out this problem on my own or should I go to the dealer? Are independent Mazda techs usually cheaper? Also the owner's manual says not to drive the car when the flashing "hold" light goes on....so do I have it towed somewhere? As you can see I am a newbie with this car. According to other internet comments, it is a faulty transmission others say a speed sensor............if you know anything tell me what you would do if this was your car................thanks for your help

Old 06-22-2005, 02:55 PM
Default RE: Engine light @ flashing "hold";new owner!!!

Hey, my light check engine is always on, but it's running ok, they say thats a problem with sensor, no big deal, but HOLD, dunno??
Mazda dealer will rip u off, thay r 2 expensive, so try somewhere else!!
See ya

Old 06-22-2005, 09:03 PM

Most service center charge a diagnosis fee, for connecting a scanner to pull codes. Call around find the cheapest place. You can
ask for an estimate to repair, but you don't have, to have them fit it. As for the MIL & HOLD lights, best pop the hood, do the basic
checks, like is the ATF fluid low, etc. If everythings seems ok, drive it, to have it checked ASAP. Post the codes and which model
you have. I'm sure we'll be able to help.

Old 06-23-2005, 08:07 PM

Okay, sounds good...I will do a quick atf check and fuses...it is a Millenia S 1997...for future reference....
if this doesn't pan out...should I still drive it with the "hold" light flashing? can Autozone read codes for this car?
I love this car so should I invest in a code reader anyway? And I will try and get a fac. shop manual too....thanks for the tips I'll get back to y'all when I have more info.

Old 06-23-2005, 09:35 PM

Yes, Autozone should be able to scan codes, however depending on the code, they might not have the info for it.
Just drive when you have to, until you get the code number when we can determine if driving will do more damage.

Old 07-08-2005, 12:55 PM

I had the same problem. Hold light flashing. It was a trany speed sensor... ran about 120.00 bucks,
dealer item.