Mazda Millenia This sedan, the flagship luxury sedan, offers both a naturally aspirated and supercharged model, so you can have your luxury, and, if you have a need for speed, big horsepower.

Advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 10:34 PM
Default Advice needed

I've found a 2000 mazda millenia for $275 .. it has 164,000 miles on it. The seller says the transmission is fine and that it is not smoking. Says it has a sticker til December and will need a drive belt for sticker.

Sounds too good to be true .. but if I decide to go look at it and it's not smoking, motor isn't making unwanted noises and it drives fine ... my question to you all is ...

How long do these cars tend to last? I'm currently driving a 92 Ford Ranger with who really knows how many miles (every time it reaches 100k it resets) I paid $400 for it a year ago .. runs great but looking to update a little. My ranger is also essentially a mobile sheet metal store ... I've had to put so much sheet metal on it to get sticker.. I have no seat belt either.

But that aside, I would hate to get into this Mazda to have it die on me and leaving me wish I had kept the $275 to make repairs to my Ranger ..

So yeah ... what could possibly be expected out of a 2000 Mazda Millenia motor mileage wise?

Thank you!

Old 10-11-2013, 08:53 PM

there are 2 engines for this car. 2.5 normal aspirated, and 2.3 miller cycle. the 2.3 has a bad rep for all kinds of problems. however, we have 2 99's, both with the 2.3. one we bought new, the other with 68k. both are at about 150k. and i have had to do a lot of repairs, i am about to do valve cover gaskets again, along with water pump and timing belt. most parts are only available from the dealer, and some can be very pricey. like all cars, it depends on the prior owner(s). for the most part, the 2.3 tends to have way less maintenance mainly because owners take it to shops that are cheap. almost no one has any experience/knowledge on the 2.3, so a lot of owners get charged for labor that wasnt done, because the shop got in WAY over their head, and bailed. for instance, the rear bank spark plugs are so difficult to get to, a shop will give up and not change them, but charge the owner anyway. this can lead to misfires and coil failures which can destroy the precat. i think they are great cars, all made in japan, and the quality shows. the 2.3 makes great power, and gives reasonably good fuel economy. for 275, i would look at the car, but take a scanner and see if there are any codes. some sellers will pull the check engine lite bulb to help the sale, but a scanner will pull the codes, bulb or not. the price tells me there are hidden problems, and you need to find them

the engines are non interference, and timing belts are changed at 105k. the 2.3 is a hardy engine, and i have confidence the engines will outlast the car. but then, i only use synthetic fluids, too, and i change them regularly. our cars have excellent maintenance, and so far i have fixed everything myself. if you have to pay someone to work on your car, dont get this car

Last edited by keninn; 10-11-2013 at 08:59 PM.