Mazda Millenia This sedan, the flagship luxury sedan, offers both a naturally aspirated and supercharged model, so you can have your luxury, and, if you have a need for speed, big horsepower.

2000 Millenia S 200 HP??

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 02:30 AM
Default 2000 Millenia S 200 HP??

I have done a lot of research on both My sons Millenia S and my 1997 Ford Thunderbird LX Coupe (Sports) with a 4.6 L V8.

Looking up specs and performance it would seem that in most conditions they are both suppose to be about the same. But in reality my Thunderbird spanks the Millenia..it is not even close. Now I understand the V8 has what my son calls "On Demand" Power, meaning it is there at all times. Where the Millenia seems to develop Specifications set aside and allowing for the possibility that my other trouble thread may be responsible for it, is this a case of me not knowing how to handle a Supercharged car? It seems to hesitate sometimes if you get to far into the pedal at start up, if you are gentle with the acceleration it seems to have fairly good pickup.

Just wondering if this is something that all Millenia S models have a problem with.

Thoughts?

Old 04-15-2011, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by fblevins1
I have done a lot of research on both My sons Millenia S and my 1997 Ford Thunderbird LX Coupe (Sports) with a 4.6 L V8.

Looking up specs and performance it would seem that in most conditions they are both suppose to be about the same. But in reality my Thunderbird spanks the Millenia..it is not even close. Now I understand the V8 has what my son calls "On Demand" Power, meaning it is there at all times. Where the Millenia seems to develop Specifications set aside and allowing for the possibility that my other trouble thread may be responsible for it, is this a case of me not knowing how to handle a Supercharged car? It seems to hesitate sometimes if you get to far into the pedal at start up, if you are gentle with the acceleration it seems to have fairly good pickup.

Just wondering if this is something that all Millenia S models have a problem with.

Thoughts?
apples and oranges. my 91 galant will suck the doors off your thunderbird. and get better fuel economy doing it. different concepts. maybe it is because a miller cycle engine is different from an otto cycle. but then, you knew that, right?

Old 04-15-2011, 10:14 AM

Assumption: the 1991 Galant in question had the 200 HP turbocharged mill.

Originally Posted by keninn
my 91 galant will suck the doors off your thunderbird.
Off the line; not so much. Above 10 mph, highly probable.

Originally Posted by keninn
maybe it is because a miller cycle engine is different from an otto cycle. but then, you knew that, right?
This has nothing to do with the physical engine and much-much more to do with the induction type (i.e. normally aspirated versus supercharged versus turbocharged) which greatly affects the torque curve.

Old 04-15-2011, 03:12 PM

well, my car has a few bolt on mods. last dyno was 338hp/343tq at the wheels. my best run was 1.77 60 ft. 12.3@119. awd cars suck at top end. and i kinda suck at driving.
but the point is, if you want a car that is quick, dont buy a millenia. it wasnt made for that. even if it could be modded to go fast, the basic platform is not there. maybe if it was rwd, but fwd cars just dont have any traction. even on a good road with good tires i can get wheelspin quite easily. but for what it was designed for, the car does quite well

Old 04-16-2011, 09:50 AM

Maybe you are right. But if the Millenia was at one time the Flagship of Mazda I would have thought that 200 Horsepower cars simply had more get up and go. But...as I indicated, with the problems I am having, it could be that at the moment it simply is not developing the power it should. I am guessing it might be an incurable sickness because it has over 40 views but no suggestions or thoughts...still the post is young so...Moving forward.

I also noticed that I cannot see sigs or have mine seen, is that a post specific benefit? I think so.

Oh, and I did know that it was a Miller Cycle engine. An interesting approach...seems the Miller Method and the SuperCharger go hand in hand, I am guessing without getting too much into research that was the Mazda answer to Horsepower with efficiency.

Last edited by fblevins1; 04-16-2011 at 10:47 PM.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:37 AM
Default SOOOOOO Kennin

"well, my car has a few bolt on mods. last dyno was 338hp/343tq at the wheels"

What are these bolt on mods you speak of ? Care to share? I had the impression that the miller cycle was already "CHIPPED OUT" stock and any attempt to increase the horsepower would only lead to grief.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by rockoe
"well, my car has a few bolt on mods. last dyno was 338hp/343tq at the wheels"

What are these bolt on mods you speak of ? Care to share? I had the impression that the miller cycle was already "CHIPPED OUT" stock and any attempt to increase the horsepower would only lead to grief.
our millenias are stock. if you go back and read more carefully, you will see i was referring to my mitsubishi galant vr4

Old 04-20-2011, 02:13 PM
Default Oooops

My bad