Mazda Millenia This sedan, the flagship luxury sedan, offers both a naturally aspirated and supercharged model, so you can have your luxury, and, if you have a need for speed, big horsepower.

2000 Millenia S

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 09:39 PM
Default 2000 Millenia S

My sister has a 2000 Millenia S. Recently the car started to stall while she was driving. If she lets it sit for a couple of hours, it will start up again. The first time this happened, it started back up after a couple of hours and ran fine for three weeks (she thought it might have been bad gas, so she put some octane boost in the tank).The stallinghas started again, but much more frequently. Error codes state that it could be the O2 sensors and the transmission sensor that montiors the engine (MAS?). I was looking for the Chiltons or Haynes shop manual so I could find the O2 sensors, but cannot find it on their respective websites or the local auto store. The manuals only go up to 1998 for the Millenia.

Does the manual exist for the 2000 Millenia?
Where are the oxygen sensors located?
Is it possible to change the O2 sensors fairly easily?
Where is the transmission sensor located?
Is this component changed failry easily?

Trying to keep from giving the dealership all our money and do it myself.

Thanx in advance for your help.

Tim

Old 04-24-2008, 09:46 PM
Default RE: 2000 Millenia S

pull the codes and post them. most are vacuum related. if you start throwing parts at it, it will break you.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:57 AM

Error Codes[/b]
[/b]
PO170: Fuel Trim Malfunction (Bank 1)[/b]
PCV Valve, 02 Senor, or Mass Air Flow Sensor[/b]
[/b]
PO421: Warm Up Catalyst below Threshold (Bank 1)[/b]
02 Sensors, Dirty Fuel Injectors[/b]
[/b]
PO431: Warm Up Catalyst below Threshold (Bank 2)[/b]
02 Sensors, Dirty Fuel Injectors[/b]
[/b]
[/b]
PO725: Engine Speed Sensor Circuit Malfunction (On Transmission)[/b]
Transmission Speed Sensor[/b]

Old 04-25-2008, 01:39 PM

ok, first off, some of the possible solutions are way off. p0170 is low fuel trim, this is 99% a vacuum leak. again, most likely a broke "tee". an easy fix, but lots of labor, because there are so many tees. there are 2 major ones, but to get to them, you will have to take off the intake assembly, from the compressor to the intercoolers. figger at least 3 hours.

0421/31 is most likely bad precats. you can first try erasing the codes, and keep track of when they come back. if they come back in a couple of weeks, the precats are toast. iirc, the right side is 416.65, the left side is 754.86. the actual codes are the post cat o2 sensors, which read the amount of oxygen consumed in the catalytic process. while some say that these sensors may be too sensitive, my experience has been that the precats are bad. however, when these codes are accompanied with the 0170/73, what is probably happening is because of the air leak, the ecu is trying to compensate by going rich. there is too much unburned fuel going into the pre cats, and they cant handle it. if you fix the 0170(vacuum leak), erase the codes, they will probably stay off for a long time. keep running the car like it is, and you will be buying new precats. you might already be there. there is a lot of labor on the precats, the rear especially. you gotta drop the whole exhaust system to get it out. took me like 3.5 hours, and i have a lift and air tools.

0725 could be just a bad connection. over time, the pins in the connections become corroded, and contact can become intermittent. sometimes just disconnecting then reconnecting will fix it.

general rule of thumb, start with the lower numbers first. fix them, and the higher numbers might go away. your problems are labor intensive. dealer/shop is going to get about 4 hours for each job. most dealers/shops have never done either jobs, so expect them to screw it up. hope this helps